Re: Territorial Rights

  • harlanzo
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote::

      > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
      > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
      > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
      team
      > wants it.

      I think the nets paid a fee to enter the NBA to the knicks. the
      story goes that the fee put the nets on the brink of bankruptcy
      causing the infamous trade of Dr. J to philly for 3 million bucks.
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
        > California University of PA? What is that?

        There is an Indiana University of Pennsylvania. So why not?
      • tamada2
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
          > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:

          [...]

          > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
          > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
          > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
          team
          > wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
          > owners to approve relocation or a new location.

          I have a vague recollection that when Donald Sterling moved the
          Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles, the NBA was against the move
          but did not have the power or ability to stop him.

          > California University of PA? What is that? Do you guys have palm
          > trees, enhanced breasts, and sushi on your campus? Oh god, I'm
          > stereotyping my own state.

          There's also an Indiana University in Pennsylvania. Go figure.

          --MKT
          Who's been to two of the five Pasadenas in the US
        • Mueller, Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
            Yup, California University of PA is about 30 miles south of Pittsburgh

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              That was a different situation because they were swallowing the ABA
              rather than siting an expansion team, so it wasn't like New York
              could 'veto' and tell them to put a team in Albuquerque instead...so
              the Knicks just whined and moaned until they got enough money to make
              them want to approve the deal.

              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote::
              > >>
              > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
              > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
              > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
              > team
              > > wants it.
              >
              > I think the nets paid a fee to enter the NBA to the knicks. the
              > story goes that the fee put the nets on the brink of bankruptcy
              > causing the infamous trade of Dr. J to philly for 3 million bucks.
            • Al Hoffman
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                John Hollinger wrote:
                That was a different situation because they were swallowing the ABA
                rather than siting an expansion team, so it wasn't like New York
                could 'veto' and tell them to put a team in Albuquerque instead...so
                the Knicks just whined and moaned until they got enough money to make
                them want to approve the deal.
                I think Earl Foreman got some $$$ back in '70 or '71 when the 1st merger agreement was being worked on to move his team from D.C. to Virginia.
              • Gary Collard
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
                  tamada2 wrote:

                  > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
                  > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:
                  >
                  > [...]
                  >
                  > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
                  > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
                  > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
                  > team
                  > > wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
                  > > owners to approve relocation or a new location.
                  >
                  > I have a vague recollection that when Donald Sterling moved the
                  > Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles, the NBA was against the move
                  > but did not have the power or ability to stop him.

                  I am pretty sure that the NBA is unable to prevent moves to a given
                  location as is the NFL (see Davis, Al) due to the lack of an antitrust
                  exemption. MLB, with no such restriction, is free to set (and break)
                  territorial rights as they see fit.

                  --
                  Gary Collard
                  SABR-L Moderator

                  "It's an uphill battle. When you're trying to remain at the top,
                  it always is."
                  -- Lakers guard Derek Fisher, channeling Yogi Berra