Territorial Rights

  • Mueller, Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
      Hello

      There has been a lot of talk in Major League Baseball about territorial rights. Does anyone know if they exist in the NBA? If they do is there some description of them? (i.e. Philadelphia has control over the area within a 100 mile radius of the city of Philadelphia)

      Thanks
      Tom

      Thomas R. Mueller, Ph.D.
      Department of Earth Sciences
      California University of PA
      California, PA 15419
      724-938-4255

      "A man never gets to this station in life without being helped, aided, shoved, pushed and prodded to do better."
      - Johnny Unitas
    • bchaikin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002

        not quite sure what you mean by territorial rights, but territorial rights for the college draft did existed in the NBA in the late 1950s and early 1960s. both oscar robertson (played college ball in cincinnati and drafted by cincinnati royals) and wilt chamberlain, to my recollection, were obtained this way. as a matter of fact, although chamberlain attended college in kansas, the philadelphia warriors insisted they get his draft rights because he played his high school ball in philadelphia...

        bob chaikin
        bchaikin@...
        formerly department of earth sciences
        case western reserve univ
        cleveland, ohio
      • Mueller, Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
          Wow that is interesting, Thank you.  However I was more interested in territorial rights between teams.  For example, a NBA team can not move into Providence, RI because the Boston Celtics own that territory.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:
            > Wow that is interesting, Thank you. However I was more interested
            in territorial rights between teams. For example, a NBA team can not
            move into Providence, RI because the Boston Celtics own that
            territory.

            I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
            that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
            Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other team
            wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
            owners to approve relocation or a new location.

            California University of PA? What is that? Do you guys have palm
            trees, enhanced breasts, and sushi on your campus? Oh god, I'm
            stereotyping my own state.

            DeanO
          • harlanzo
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote::

              > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
              > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
              > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
              team
              > wants it.

              I think the nets paid a fee to enter the NBA to the knicks. the
              story goes that the fee put the nets on the brink of bankruptcy
              causing the infamous trade of Dr. J to philly for 3 million bucks.
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
                > California University of PA? What is that?

                There is an Indiana University of Pennsylvania. So why not?
              • tamada2
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                  --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
                  > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:

                  [...]

                  > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
                  > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
                  > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
                  team
                  > wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
                  > owners to approve relocation or a new location.

                  I have a vague recollection that when Donald Sterling moved the
                  Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles, the NBA was against the move
                  but did not have the power or ability to stop him.

                  > California University of PA? What is that? Do you guys have palm
                  > trees, enhanced breasts, and sushi on your campus? Oh god, I'm
                  > stereotyping my own state.

                  There's also an Indiana University in Pennsylvania. Go figure.

                  --MKT
                  Who's been to two of the five Pasadenas in the US
                • Mueller, Thomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 5, 2002
                    Yup, California University of PA is about 30 miles south of Pittsburgh

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                      That was a different situation because they were swallowing the ABA
                      rather than siting an expansion team, so it wasn't like New York
                      could 'veto' and tell them to put a team in Albuquerque instead...so
                      the Knicks just whined and moaned until they got enough money to make
                      them want to approve the deal.

                      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote::
                      > >>
                      > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
                      > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
                      > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
                      > team
                      > > wants it.
                      >
                      > I think the nets paid a fee to enter the NBA to the knicks. the
                      > story goes that the fee put the nets on the brink of bankruptcy
                      > causing the infamous trade of Dr. J to philly for 3 million bucks.
                    • Al Hoffman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                        John Hollinger wrote:
                        That was a different situation because they were swallowing the ABA
                        rather than siting an expansion team, so it wasn't like New York
                        could 'veto' and tell them to put a team in Albuquerque instead...so
                        the Knicks just whined and moaned until they got enough money to make
                        them want to approve the deal.
                        I think Earl Foreman got some $$$ back in '70 or '71 when the 1st merger agreement was being worked on to move his team from D.C. to Virginia.
                      • Gary Collard
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
                          tamada2 wrote:

                          > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
                          > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:
                          >
                          > [...]
                          >
                          > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
                          > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
                          > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
                          > team
                          > > wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
                          > > owners to approve relocation or a new location.
                          >
                          > I have a vague recollection that when Donald Sterling moved the
                          > Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles, the NBA was against the move
                          > but did not have the power or ability to stop him.

                          I am pretty sure that the NBA is unable to prevent moves to a given
                          location as is the NFL (see Davis, Al) due to the lack of an antitrust
                          exemption. MLB, with no such restriction, is free to set (and break)
                          territorial rights as they see fit.

                          --
                          Gary Collard
                          SABR-L Moderator

                          "It's an uphill battle. When you're trying to remain at the top,
                          it always is."
                          -- Lakers guard Derek Fisher, channeling Yogi Berra