East vs. West again

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2002
      OK, JohnH's column said that not much surprised him this year. I
      would tend to agree that this season hasn't been a tremendous
      surprise. But one big classification of the season does surprise me -
      - how mediocre the west has looked. Portland, the Clippers, the
      Spurs, the T'Wolves, the Grizzlies have collectively not held up
      their end of the bargain. I believe every single Western playoff
      team last year had a winning or 0.500 record against the East last
      year. A lot of Western teams have been surprising losers so far this
      year.

      So Why? Why did this happen? No major West to East talent swaps
      were made. Vin Baker certainly does not count. Basically, there was
      some reshuffling within conferences with a bit of talent going to New
      Jersey. Teams have mostly gotten better with about the same talent.

      Is this the effect of the zone, which is vastly more important this
      year? Is Western offensive talent more susceptible to getting beat
      by zones? Does the zone significantly help those eastern teams which
      are generally not as quick as the western teams?

      I'm brainstorming here and probably feeding a column for JohnH.
      Thoughts?

      DeanO
    • harlanzo
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:

        >> So Why? Why did this happen? No major West to East talent swaps
        > were made. Vin Baker certainly does not count. Basically, there
        was
        > some reshuffling within conferences with a bit of talent going to
        New
        > Jersey. Teams have mostly gotten better with about the same
        talent.

        > Is this the effect of the zone, which is vastly more important
        this
        > year? Is Western offensive talent more susceptible to getting
        beat
        > by zones? Does the zone significantly help those eastern teams
        which
        > are generally not as quick as the western teams?
        >
        > I'm brainstorming here and probably feeding a column for JohnH.
        > Thoughts?

        Obviously, it does not help that the two best teams in the NBA last
        year, LA and Sac, have had major injuries. In addition, as great as
        Dallas has been, Portland has been in turmoil an SA Spurs have been
        weaker for some reason. In addition, the clipps who were not so
        good last year are stuggling for a variety of reasons.

        Conversely, Orlando has Hill back (most of the time), Philly is
        better, and Indiana has developed. the east was as bad as it
        could've been last year and the west was about as good as it
        could've been. the penudulum has swung a bit but really the east
        looks better now than it will at the end of the season when sac and
        la start to roll and indiana tapers off a little (to 50 wins not 60).
      • monepeterson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
          > I'm brainstorming here and probably feeding a column for JohnH.
          > Thoughts?

          Well, as of this morning the East is 44-43 against the West, so the
          West is starting to catch back up.

          I think it's just due to a slow start by several Western teams.
          Sacramento has had injuries and played just a bit sloppy aside from
          that. The Spurs got off to a lethargic start, and Duncan in
          particular hadn't been his usual self (although he appears to be
          coming out of it). The Lakers problems are well-documented. This year
          seems to be the litmus test of how far two players can carry a team.
          The T-Wolves are in a similiar situation. Brandon is still out,
          Wally's been hurt, and Garnett can only carry them so far. I don't
          know about the Grizz. With that collection of talent, it seems they
          should at least be better than 2-13.

          On top of that, I think several of the Eastern teams are playing a
          bit above their heads, Detroit and New Orleans especially, but to a
          lesser extent, Indiana, Philly and Boston.

          Moné