Re: [APBR_analysis] Eddie Griffin: Why?

  • Al Hoffman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28 4:05 AM
      Ed Weiland wrote:

      > I'm not a big Eddie Griffin fan. He has great talent,
      > but his actions on the court and off seemed to
      > negatively impact Seton Hall last season. It's one
      > thing to be an immature goofball. It's another to let
      > this behavior affect your team. Off the court he's
      > punched a teammate two seasons in a row now. Last
      > season, Seton Hall tanked right after the punch, IIRC.
      > On the court he didn't seem to be using very good
      > judgement in the games I saw him play. Launching
      > ridiculous shots rather than looking for teammates and
      > the like. He is just a college frosh and might become
      > a fine player. There also might be a good reason he
      > slid to #7, despite having such great talent.

      I can sum up the feeling I get of Eddie Griffin in 2 words: Derrick
      Coleman.

      Al
    • Jim Hekel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28 9:03 AM
        --- Ed Weiland <weiland1029@...> wrote:
        > Now can you spin the Elton Brand trade in a way that
        > will ease my pain? : )
        >
        > Ed Weiland

        Nope. I think Krause finally went off the deep end. I
        can't think that either of the high schoolers will
        average 20 points and 10 rebounds a game like Brand
        has the past two years. Heck, they might not average
        that combined! Should have drafted Battier to take
        care of the small forward problem. Actually I thought
        it would be interesting to watch Eddy Curry develop
        with Brand by his side. Now, who will show him how
        it's done? It's a big gamble. It could be the dawning
        of a modern Twin Towers (Make that Twin Teen Towers)
        or they could end up looking like Benoit Benjamin.
        Maybe Krause figures they will have to give him
        another two or three years to let the kids develop
        before they can his can. Jim Hekel

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Charles Steinhardt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28 9:20 AM
          On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Jim Hekel wrote:

          > --- Ed Weiland <weiland1029@...> wrote:
          > > Now can you spin the Elton Brand trade in a way that
          > > will ease my pain? : )
          > >
          > > Ed Weiland

          Here, I'll take a shot at it. Just remember that I don't necessarily
          believe all of this, but I think it's a reasonable spin

          > Nope. I think Krause finally went off the deep end. I
          > can't think that either of the high schoolers will
          > average 20 points and 10 rebounds a game like Brand
          > has the past two years. Heck, they might not average

          Brand was a 20 and 10 man because he was on a crappy team rather than
          because he was a superstar, and on a better team he's not going to be as
          good. He also wasn't really a center, and with the new zone rules size is
          very important on the interior. Basically, he's worth a lot more now than
          he is later, and he wasn't going to re-sign with the Bulls anyway.

          > that combined! Should have drafted Battier to take
          > care of the small forward problem. Actually I thought
          > it would be interesting to watch Eddy Curry develop
          > with Brand by his side. Now, who will show him how
          > it's done? It's a big gamble. It could be the dawning
          > of a modern Twin Towers (Make that Twin Teen Towers)

          Consider that this would be the first time two high school prospects have
          been given the change to develop their games specifically with the thought
          in mind of playing alongside the other at the NBA level. With good
          chemistry between these two, not only do their games work well together,
          but in three years there is also much more of an incentive to these two to
          stay together, hopefully in Chicago. Both are great defenders inside, and
          there is a good chance that in a zone defense, the two of them will be
          able to stop Shaq in a couple of years.

          > or they could end up looking like Benoit Benjamin.
          > Maybe Krause figures they will have to give him
          > another two or three years to let the kids develop
          > before they can his can. Jim Hekel

          Hey - just give them time. They may be high schoolers, and I think
          they're about a year or two away from being dominant, but we've just
          drafted 2/3 of a dominant frontcourt for the next twenty years. Can you
          imagine if Kobe was a big man with the same kind of dominance at at power
          forward as he currently has further outside? On that team all you need to
          do is add a point guard and you're set for the next ten years. And even
          if only one of them completely pans out, the Admiral isn't exactly a 20
          and 10 guy anymore and San Antone was the second best team in the league
          this year because of their inside presence, even if only one of the two
          was putting up legit star numbers. This trade makes the Bulls the
          prototypical team of the future - drafted from the inside out. Look at
          the priority on big men - how many guards were taken in the first 20 picks
          or so? Remember when point guards used to be the first thing teams
          needed? First point guard was taken pretty low for a franchise player,
          wasn't he? This is the wave of the future, and Bulls are leading the way.

          [That enough spin for ya?]

          -Charles

        • Jim Hekel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28 8:50 PM
            Good spin, Charles, but there is also a few holes.
            First off, there were no top-notch point guards in
            this year's draft. But I agree the NBA's emphasis is
            on guys with size who can move. What the Bulls did is
            a big gamble that I don't agree with. They gave away
            Elton Brand for a dream. It could pay off big time, or
            it could backfire. Listening to the SCORE in Chicago
            today, I am confused about Brand's contract status.
            One commentator said the Bulls could have had him for
            three more seasons.

            As far as these two being able to shut down Shaq in
            two or three years, that would depend on how quickly
            Shaq ages. David Robinson and Tim Duncan couldn't shut
            him down this year and I think defense if probably the
            hardest thing for a high school player to learn.

            But I wish the Bulls well. It will be an interesting
            team to watch in the next few years. One thing this
            deal does do is open up playing time for Marcus Fizer
            at power forward, as the team says the 7-footer will
            play small forward. This lineup could pose problems
            for opposing defenses, but the Bulls will probably be
            forced to play zone. I don't see the 7-footer being
            quick enough to guard McGrady or even Big Dog. Jim
            Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.