Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Most uncertain value?

  • Gary Collard
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 22, 2002
      Daniel Dickey wrote:

      > Turnovers is the easiest stat - it should
      > either
      > be worth the value of a possession

      It seems that there might be some small difference between a possession
      started with a rebound (can beat the defense down the court or before it is
      set up) as opposed to a turnover (defense gets set). May be too small to
      worry about.

      If any of my observations are stuff ong ago asked and answered, bear with
      me as I am new to hoops analysis.

      --
      Gary Collard
      SABR-L Moderator

      "How can they call the internet connection dying on me no big deal?
      What if there's an emergency and I need to e-mail 9-1-1?"
      -- Jennifer Taylor
    • Daniel Dickey
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 26, 2002
          I do not believe just because a player played 200 minutes because he is definitely better than the other options for that 200 minutes.  Coaches do not always play the best players.  Coaches still play Eric Montross - and I bet you could find 1000 players not in the NBA who could whoop him one on one.  I know he's big - who cares.  Should EVERY player have a positive replacement player level - because obviously he's better than his replacements (because he's playing)?  I don't think so.

        Pippen played alot more minutes than Patterson for the Blazers - but I think Patterson is probably now the better player.  The coach HAS to play Scottie because he is paid more and he'll whine if he doesn't play.  This happens ALOT in the NBA.  Plus the worst 2 players on each team are not really any better than the best players in the lesser pro leagues - they just lucked into guaranteed contracts.

        NBA