Eddie Griffin: Why?

  • harlanzo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2001
      THis will be more of an emotional posting than an analytical one. As
      a nets fan, I do not understand any reason for this trade. I know
      the nets need depth but Collins, Jefferson, and that third guy
      (Brendan Armstrong) are not difficult commodities to acquire. It
      just seems that the Nets squandered a commodity for players with
      decent upside but also some downside when if they were intent on
      trading the pick they could have probably gotten a veteran who is
      more of known quantity.
    • Jim Hekel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 27, 2001
        Not sure about this trade. I've heard some real good
        things tonight about Jefferson. Could be a real steal.
        Time will tell. Jim Hekel

        --- harlanzo@... wrote:
        > THis will be more of an emotional posting than an
        > analytical one. As
        > a nets fan, I do not understand any reason for this
        > trade. I know
        > the nets need depth but Collins, Jefferson, and that
        > third guy
        > (Brendan Armstrong) are not difficult commodities to
        > acquire. It
        > just seems that the Nets squandered a commodity for
        > players with
        > decent upside but also some downside when if they
        > were intent on
        > trading the pick they could have probably gotten a
        > veteran who is
        > more of known quantity.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Ed Weiland
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
          --- harlanzo@... wrote:
          > THis will be more of an emotional posting than an
          > analytical one. As
          > a nets fan, I do not understand any reason for this
          > trade. I know
          > the nets need depth but Collins, Jefferson, and that
          > third guy
          > (Brendan Armstrong) are not difficult commodities to
          > acquire. It
          > just seems that the Nets squandered a commodity for
          > players with
          > decent upside but also some downside when if they
          > were intent on
          > trading the pick they could have probably gotten a
          > veteran who is
          > more of known quantity.

          Emotional? I'm a Bulls fan, so you don't know the half
          of how I feel about last night's going ons. : (

          I'm not a big Eddie Griffin fan. He has great talent,
          but his actions on the court and off seemed to
          negatively impact Seton Hall last season. It's one
          thing to be an immature goofball. It's another to let
          this behavior affect your team. Off the court he's
          punched a teammate two seasons in a row now. Last
          season, Seton Hall tanked right after the punch, IIRC.
          On the court he didn't seem to be using very good
          judgement in the games I saw him play. Launching
          ridiculous shots rather than looking for teammates and
          the like. He is just a college frosh and might become
          a fine player. There also might be a good reason he
          slid to #7, despite having such great talent.

          On whether the Nets made the right move on passing on
          Rodney White, I have no idea. I agree with you that
          it's best to take a chance on players like White or
          Griffin, who have star potential. I also agree that
          filling out the roster can be done fairly easily. This
          is a deep draft however, and the Nets just might have
          made the right move going for quantity. I do know that
          Jefferson looked very good to me, especially
          defensively, during the tournament and that Collins is
          rated very highly in all those TENDEX-type of
          rankings. The same could have been said about Ed
          O'Bannon and Corey Benjamin, however.

          Now can you spin the Elton Brand trade in a way that
          will ease my pain? : )

          Ed Weiland

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Al Hoffman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
            Ed Weiland wrote:

            > I'm not a big Eddie Griffin fan. He has great talent,
            > but his actions on the court and off seemed to
            > negatively impact Seton Hall last season. It's one
            > thing to be an immature goofball. It's another to let
            > this behavior affect your team. Off the court he's
            > punched a teammate two seasons in a row now. Last
            > season, Seton Hall tanked right after the punch, IIRC.
            > On the court he didn't seem to be using very good
            > judgement in the games I saw him play. Launching
            > ridiculous shots rather than looking for teammates and
            > the like. He is just a college frosh and might become
            > a fine player. There also might be a good reason he
            > slid to #7, despite having such great talent.

            I can sum up the feeling I get of Eddie Griffin in 2 words: Derrick
            Coleman.

            Al
          • Jim Hekel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
              --- Ed Weiland <weiland1029@...> wrote:
              > Now can you spin the Elton Brand trade in a way that
              > will ease my pain? : )
              >
              > Ed Weiland

              Nope. I think Krause finally went off the deep end. I
              can't think that either of the high schoolers will
              average 20 points and 10 rebounds a game like Brand
              has the past two years. Heck, they might not average
              that combined! Should have drafted Battier to take
              care of the small forward problem. Actually I thought
              it would be interesting to watch Eddy Curry develop
              with Brand by his side. Now, who will show him how
              it's done? It's a big gamble. It could be the dawning
              of a modern Twin Towers (Make that Twin Teen Towers)
              or they could end up looking like Benoit Benjamin.
              Maybe Krause figures they will have to give him
              another two or three years to let the kids develop
              before they can his can. Jim Hekel

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Charles Steinhardt
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
                On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Jim Hekel wrote:

                > --- Ed Weiland <weiland1029@...> wrote:
                > > Now can you spin the Elton Brand trade in a way that
                > > will ease my pain? : )
                > >
                > > Ed Weiland

                Here, I'll take a shot at it. Just remember that I don't necessarily
                believe all of this, but I think it's a reasonable spin

                > Nope. I think Krause finally went off the deep end. I
                > can't think that either of the high schoolers will
                > average 20 points and 10 rebounds a game like Brand
                > has the past two years. Heck, they might not average

                Brand was a 20 and 10 man because he was on a crappy team rather than
                because he was a superstar, and on a better team he's not going to be as
                good. He also wasn't really a center, and with the new zone rules size is
                very important on the interior. Basically, he's worth a lot more now than
                he is later, and he wasn't going to re-sign with the Bulls anyway.

                > that combined! Should have drafted Battier to take
                > care of the small forward problem. Actually I thought
                > it would be interesting to watch Eddy Curry develop
                > with Brand by his side. Now, who will show him how
                > it's done? It's a big gamble. It could be the dawning
                > of a modern Twin Towers (Make that Twin Teen Towers)

                Consider that this would be the first time two high school prospects have
                been given the change to develop their games specifically with the thought
                in mind of playing alongside the other at the NBA level. With good
                chemistry between these two, not only do their games work well together,
                but in three years there is also much more of an incentive to these two to
                stay together, hopefully in Chicago. Both are great defenders inside, and
                there is a good chance that in a zone defense, the two of them will be
                able to stop Shaq in a couple of years.

                > or they could end up looking like Benoit Benjamin.
                > Maybe Krause figures they will have to give him
                > another two or three years to let the kids develop
                > before they can his can. Jim Hekel

                Hey - just give them time. They may be high schoolers, and I think
                they're about a year or two away from being dominant, but we've just
                drafted 2/3 of a dominant frontcourt for the next twenty years. Can you
                imagine if Kobe was a big man with the same kind of dominance at at power
                forward as he currently has further outside? On that team all you need to
                do is add a point guard and you're set for the next ten years. And even
                if only one of them completely pans out, the Admiral isn't exactly a 20
                and 10 guy anymore and San Antone was the second best team in the league
                this year because of their inside presence, even if only one of the two
                was putting up legit star numbers. This trade makes the Bulls the
                prototypical team of the future - drafted from the inside out. Look at
                the priority on big men - how many guards were taken in the first 20 picks
                or so? Remember when point guards used to be the first thing teams
                needed? First point guard was taken pretty low for a franchise player,
                wasn't he? This is the wave of the future, and Bulls are leading the way.

                [That enough spin for ya?]

                -Charles

              • Jim Hekel
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2001
                  Good spin, Charles, but there is also a few holes.
                  First off, there were no top-notch point guards in
                  this year's draft. But I agree the NBA's emphasis is
                  on guys with size who can move. What the Bulls did is
                  a big gamble that I don't agree with. They gave away
                  Elton Brand for a dream. It could pay off big time, or
                  it could backfire. Listening to the SCORE in Chicago
                  today, I am confused about Brand's contract status.
                  One commentator said the Bulls could have had him for
                  three more seasons.

                  As far as these two being able to shut down Shaq in
                  two or three years, that would depend on how quickly
                  Shaq ages. David Robinson and Tim Duncan couldn't shut
                  him down this year and I think defense if probably the
                  hardest thing for a high school player to learn.

                  But I wish the Bulls well. It will be an interesting
                  team to watch in the next few years. One thing this
                  deal does do is open up playing time for Marcus Fizer
                  at power forward, as the team says the 7-footer will
                  play small forward. This lineup could pose problems
                  for opposing defenses, but the Bulls will probably be
                  forced to play zone. I don't see the 7-footer being
                  quick enough to guard McGrady or even Big Dog. Jim
                  Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.