Re: player minutes chart

  • Mike Goodman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2001
      Responding to one of my own posts, again.
      I went ahead and tabulated the careers of some 1500 players, using
      seasons spent with a single team. I have broken them down by career
      length, from single-season careers to a 17+ year group.
      The 2nd and 3rd columns are the minutes played as rookie, and in
      final season.

      career avg. minutes
      length season annual decline
      ----- ----------- ----- --------------
      yrs. # first last net min. pct.
      1 326 (500) (500)
      2 156 685 561 -123 123 .180
      3 129 873 626 -247 124 .142
      4 93 916 688 -229 76 .083
      5 76 1032 678 -354 88 .086
      6 65 1150 784 -367 73 .064
      7 86 1368 660 -709 118 .086
      8 78 1415 734 -681 97 .069
      9 96 1266 953 -313 39 .031
      10 106 1448 912 -537 60 .041
      11 92 1393 983 -410 41 .029
      12 70 1534 1020 -513 47 .030
      13 57 1779 1101 -678 57 .032
      14 42 1734 1030 -704 54 .031
      15 24 1436 1053 -383 27 .019
      16 19 1881 1037 -844 56 .030
      17+ 16 1997 480 -1516 89 .044
      7.7 1531 1240 805 -435 65 .052

      This thing has sat on my desktop long enough; I am not ashamed to
      say I don't know what to make of it.
      One thing is clear: "weak" players (those with brief careers) have
      a steeper decline, both in minutes and pct. of minutes, than do
      stronger (longer) players. Is it possible to produce a "natural
      decline" factor, as distinguished from a "talent concentration"
      factor, by comparing the decline rates of stronger and weaker players?
      Something about guys who go past 16 years and hanging on to the
      bitter end? I don't know how much these 16 players can skew the
      overall group, but it does illustrate how a bias can result when
      talented young players come in at 2000 minutes and leave at 500.

      I don't think it matters where
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 22, 2001
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mike Goodman" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
        > Responding to one of my own posts, again.
        > I went ahead and tabulated the careers of some 1500 players,
        using
        > seasons spent with a single team. I have broken them down by career
        > length, from single-season careers to a 17+ year group.
        > The 2nd and 3rd columns are the minutes played as rookie, and in
        > final season.
        >
        > career avg. minutes
        > length season annual decline
        > ----- ----------- ----- --------------
        > yrs. # first last net min. pct.
        > 1 326 (500) (500)
        > 2 156 685 561 -123 123 .180
        > 3 129 873 626 -247 124 .142
        > 4 93 916 688 -229 76 .083
        > 5 76 1032 678 -354 88 .086
        > 6 65 1150 784 -367 73 .064
        > 7 86 1368 660 -709 118 .086
        > 8 78 1415 734 -681 97 .069
        > 9 96 1266 953 -313 39 .031
        > 10 106 1448 912 -537 60 .041
        > 11 92 1393 983 -410 41 .029
        > 12 70 1534 1020 -513 47 .030
        > 13 57 1779 1101 -678 57 .032
        > 14 42 1734 1030 -704 54 .031
        > 15 24 1436 1053 -383 27 .019
        > 16 19 1881 1037 -844 56 .030
        > 17+ 16 1997 480 -1516 89 .044
        > 7.7 1531 1240 805 -435 65 .052

        Mike --

        I think all this work with minutes is very interesting. Not precisely
        sure what to make of it either, but it _seems_ relevant and
        informative. (Maybe for doing something like James' career projection
        stuff...)

        For instance, it's interesting that players with longer careers never
        fall to the level of 2 year players -- in terms of minutes. That
        probably means that they are still better than the 2 year players even
        after 16 years in the game.

        Another way to look at the data would be to calculate the minutes for
        players in their peak year and what year that typically was.
        Calculate a decline rate in minutes per year from the year of peak.
        I'm guessing that the peak minute year flatterns out at about 5 years,
        based on the typical assumption that players' careers peak at age
        27-28.