Wins players can add

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 19, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...> wrote:

      > It is an overstatement to say that MJ or these other guys are
      instant
      > title contenders if you put them on the Nuggers or the 92-93
      > mavericks. But they would make any team a playoff contender.

      This gets at the question I still struggle with: How many wins can a
      player create for his team? The Win Shares thing said up to 27 wins
      (for Shaq, I think) -- that is 1/3rd of a team's game total, yet Shaq
      didn't play in even 1/5th of his team minutes and scored about 1/4th
      of his team points. I estimated he contributed about 19 wins and 1
      loss, which is a far cry from 27 wins (and ?? losses).

      The point about Bird getting the Celtics to the playoffs in his
      rookie year is a good one. Archibald's improvement in 1980 was
      remarkable. Maybe it was the Bird factor, but Tiny was also coming
      off a year away in '79 after a horrible achilles injury, so he was
      down then. I believe Fitch got COY that year, too. One of these
      days, I'll have to look into all the reasons for that turnaround. I
      know the 3ptr helped Chris Ford. The D and the O improved a lot. I
      can't believe that it was all Bird, though he clearly was a major
      factor.