Re: ballhogs

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "McKibbin, Stuart" <smckibbi@c...> wrote:
      > Kobe Bryant for sure up to 2001. At least that's what the papers,
      teammates
      > and Phil said

      Like Dominique, I have him being too efficient to be considered a
      ballhog. So maybe I drop the efficient qual, but that lets in a lot
      of players. I think it might be a relative thing. Kobe could have
      been considered a hog because he always has had someone better to
      pass to in Shaq.

      > Iverson. I counted Iverson touches in the 2001 Finals, he shot the
      ball 49%
      > of the time he touched it and passed 33% of the time. When he had
      trouble
      > getting it in the halfcourt sets, he went to the backcourt,
      advanced the
      > ball and ran high pick and roll so there would be zero passes on
      some
      > possessions. In Al's defense that could very well have been Brown's
      scheme.

      What happened with the other 16% of possessions? 49% of touches
      become shots. That's like a lot of pickup games I play in. Ick.

      > Free. McGinnis. Barkley (in Houston). McAdoo in Detroit/Boston/NYK.
      I always
      > thought Moses and Kevin Willis were ballhogs, it seemed like they
      never
      > passed the ball back out. Elden. McDyess in Denver. Ticky Burden.
      Dwight
      > Lamar. Fred Carter.

      No question on Moses and Willis that they had the reps.

      I didn't think Barkley was a ballhog in Houston. Maybe elsewhere,
      but not Houston.

      Perhaps what would be useful is Bob Chaikin's stat for how many
      touches a player gets divided into how many shots they take. Though
      Bob estimates his number from stats including FGA, it might give
      something.