ballhogs

  • McKibbin, Stuart
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
      Kobe Bryant for sure up to 2001. At least that's what the papers, teammates and Phil said

      Iverson. I counted Iverson touches in the 2001 Finals, he shot the ball 49% of the time he touched it and passed 33% of the time. When he had trouble getting it in the halfcourt sets, he went to the backcourt, advanced the ball and ran high pick and roll so there would be zero passes on some possessions. In Al's defense that could very well have been Brown's scheme.

      Free. McGinnis. Barkley (in Houston). McAdoo in Detroit/Boston/NYK. I always thought Moses and Kevin Willis were ballhogs, it seemed like they never passed the ball back out. Elden. McDyess in Denver. Ticky Burden. Dwight Lamar. Fred Carter.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "McKibbin, Stuart" <smckibbi@c...> wrote:
        > Kobe Bryant for sure up to 2001. At least that's what the papers,
        teammates
        > and Phil said

        Like Dominique, I have him being too efficient to be considered a
        ballhog. So maybe I drop the efficient qual, but that lets in a lot
        of players. I think it might be a relative thing. Kobe could have
        been considered a hog because he always has had someone better to
        pass to in Shaq.

        > Iverson. I counted Iverson touches in the 2001 Finals, he shot the
        ball 49%
        > of the time he touched it and passed 33% of the time. When he had
        trouble
        > getting it in the halfcourt sets, he went to the backcourt,
        advanced the
        > ball and ran high pick and roll so there would be zero passes on
        some
        > possessions. In Al's defense that could very well have been Brown's
        scheme.

        What happened with the other 16% of possessions? 49% of touches
        become shots. That's like a lot of pickup games I play in. Ick.

        > Free. McGinnis. Barkley (in Houston). McAdoo in Detroit/Boston/NYK.
        I always
        > thought Moses and Kevin Willis were ballhogs, it seemed like they
        never
        > passed the ball back out. Elden. McDyess in Denver. Ticky Burden.
        Dwight
        > Lamar. Fred Carter.

        No question on Moses and Willis that they had the reps.

        I didn't think Barkley was a ballhog in Houston. Maybe elsewhere,
        but not Houston.

        Perhaps what would be useful is Bob Chaikin's stat for how many
        touches a player gets divided into how many shots they take. Though
        Bob estimates his number from stats including FGA, it might give
        something.