Re: demographics

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "doc319" <doc319@y...> wrote:
      > ... what
      > does it mean that an APBR member "provided" the racial designations-
      > is this person a trained ethnographer who is familiar with the
      > backgrounds of everyone who has played enough minutes in the NBA to
      > qualify for your study's parameters?

      I trimmed the list down to guys who have logged 100 NBA minutes or
      200 ABA minutes, since 1952. The list had many more players than
      this. Information was spotty in the old days (pre-1950), and in the
      early days of the ABA. For lots of the bit players, neither state of
      birth nor high school was listed.

      Interestingly, however, people's race was remembered, and 100% of the
      players I used were designated W or B. I don't know who did the
      designating, and I didn't find any errors. I realize mixed-race
      players are listed as black.

      > Otherwise, the racial
      > designations are meaningless and there is no way to determine
      > anything from these charts (I'm not quite sure what you are trying
      > determine anyway...).

      To me, the NBA is a spectator sport, and I like a good product.

      I read food labels. I want to know what I am eating. My mom doesn't
      want to know what she is eating. It doesn't mean anything to her, to
      read the fat content or the sugar content.

      To another person, the fat content is meaningless, except as a
      percentage of the calories; I forget why. Yet to me, the fat content
      is still meaningful.

      We all have our comfort level with information. I like to think all
      information is useful. You may make of it what you like, and add to
      it at your discretion.

      So, after sitting on this pile of information, and organizing it
      several ways, I decided to share it, to see what everyone else thinks.

      > Later you state that if a player is born in one state and plays
      > school ball in another state then his NBA minutes are split evenly
      > between the two states. In another post you state that Alaska has
      > produced a black player in ten years. Trajan Langdon was born in
      > California but played high school ball in Alaska.

      That's a good spot, and I appreciate it!

      Alaska got bumped off the top of my screen, apparently, when I went
      to using census data to get per-capita. (To my dismay, state
      abbreviations alphabatize quite differently than do the whole names;
      thus AK moved ahead of AL, even though Alabama precedes Alaska.
      Shuffling the census data to line up with my lines, was vexing.)