DA v. DRob

  • harlanzo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2001
      There are reports that Derek Anderson is demanding a huge pay raise
      from the Spurs. This, apparently, that could dictate that David
      Robinson would have to take a pay cut to accomodate the salary cap
      and Anderson. My suspicion is that even when you consider age and
      Drob's reduced skills (from his great peak) that keeping DRob and
      dumping Anderson for one those ever present athletic two-guards
      floating around for a cheap price (a la Mercer, Anderson etc.) would
      give the Spurs much more value. My numbers show that Anderson is a
      pretty average player and that Drob is still above average.
      Additionally, Drob as a center is much less replaceable than Anderson
      at 2 guard. Do other people's numbers/opinions jive with this?
    • msg_53@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2001
        I guess they should call a team meeting, bring out the pie charts,
        and everyone put in their two cents on such a matter. Is this
        unthinkable? I think Derek played pretty cheap this year, so
        compensation may be in order.
        The last thing the Spurs need to do is panic and start throwing
        guys overboard. I don't think DA is average, I think he is one of
        the top 60 players in the league. Within a year he may be more
        valuable than DRob; already he goes more minutes.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2001
          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., harlanzo@y... wrote:
          > There are reports that Derek Anderson is demanding a huge pay raise
          > from the Spurs. This, apparently, that could dictate that David
          > Robinson would have to take a pay cut to accomodate the salary cap
          > and Anderson. My suspicion is that even when you consider age and
          > Drob's reduced skills (from his great peak) that keeping DRob and
          > dumping Anderson for one those ever present athletic two-guards
          > floating around for a cheap price (a la Mercer, Anderson etc.)
          would
          > give the Spurs much more value. My numbers show that Anderson is a
          > pretty average player and that Drob is still above average.
          > Additionally, Drob as a center is much less replaceable than
          Anderson
          > at 2 guard. Do other people's numbers/opinions jive with this?

          Here are some quick numbers before I go out of town again:

          2001
          Sc.Pos Pos. Fl% ORtg PtsPr DRtg W-L
          DR 555 999 .555 111.9 1118 89.5 11.7-0.3
          DA 576 1170 .492 108.8 1273 97.8 11.1-1.9

          2000
          Sc.Pos Pos. Fl% ORtg PtsPr DRtg W-L
          DR 664 1212 .548 109.7 1329 89.7 12.9-0.5
          DA 494 1027 .481 104.1 1069 109.4 3.1-7.1

          1999
          Sc.Pos Pos. Fl% ORtg PtsPr DRtg W-L
          DR 377 682 .553 108.5 740 85.3 7.1-0.6
          DA 204 429 .475 102.2 438 100.2 3.0-2.0

          David Robinson is right now the more valuable player. DA fits well
          with the Spurs. He's been a decent player for the past 3 years and
          getting better consistently offensively. He's never going to be a
          superstar, especially since he is already 27 years old and at the
          peak of his career. I definitely wouldn't pay him superstar cash.
          He is good and to call him among the top 60 in the league, as Mike
          did, is not bad, but that means he is no better than the 2nd best
          player on most teams, that means he is maybe in the top 10 shooting
          guards -- not a max-money player. You definitely don't give a 27
          year-old 2-guard with his 3rd team in 3 years a long-term big money
          contract when his offensive numbers in his best year are only in the
          top 5-10 at his position.

          The question is more than one of these guys, but of their
          replacements. DA is eminently replaceable, not perfectly with the
          personnel there, but close. DR is also strangely replaceable on the
          Spurs. I did a study a few years ago of the defensive impact of Twin
          Towers and it really isn't that big compared to just having a single
          good tower, which both Duncan and Robinson are. So you could go to
          Rose at the PF and move Duncan to center and not lose much
          defensively. You would lose a fair amount offensively (as was
          obvious in the playoffs), though. Given that they are both
          replaceable, DR has much greater trade value.

          It's a matter of fit, but raw numbers still suggest DR is better than
          DA.