Re: The turnover prone guys

  • dlirag
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 26 6:58 AM
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...> wrote:
      > So how do you meaningfully interpret turnovers? I agree that
      > context is important (ie Rodman's low turnovers do not indicate his
      > ballhandling ability). Can you estimate touches per game and then
      > divide turnovers into this number? That would theoretically
      balance
      > out the problems you mention. (of course determining what is a
      real
      > touch and tos in the half court v. fast break might make differnece
      > too.)

      That's what Bob Chaikin does in his program. He defines touches per
      game as the sum of FGA, TO, the number of passes the player makes,
      and the number of times he was fouled. It seems that the best
      ballhandlers are usually the point guards, turning the ball over on 5-
      6% of their touches. PF's and C's are on the other end of the
      spectrum with TO/touch percentages of 10% or more.