Re: The turnover prone guys

  • alleyoop2
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22, 2002
      You said, in part "says nothing at all about quality, it just means
      that it gets dwarfed by other things in importance."

      I disagree: I actually think assist-turnover ratio says nothing at
      all about quality. It is dominated by players who never penetrate
      like Jeff McInnis and Alvin Williams (or the previous example, Muggsy
      Bogues) and as a result this particular stat is at least as much a
      contrarian indicator as it is a positive one.

      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "alleyoop2" <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
      > > That's what my #s show as well - offensive efficiency rose last
      > year
      > > after a four-year period that looks like a bottoming out, at
      least
      > > right now, with the lockout year being the worst.
      > >
      > > Interesting discussion on turnovers by the way, and I couldn't
      > agree
      > > more with whoever was ripping on Muggsy Bogues. Assist-Turnover
      > ratio
      > > is about the most idiotic statistic I've ever seen, and has
      almost
      > no
      > > correlation with any kind of skill whatsoever.
      > >

      > Obviously assists are good and turnovers are bad, but the ratio is
      > just one of so many indicators that the value of the two numbers
      gets
      > lost. I don't think anyone seriously ranks players by the ratio,
      but
      > it does tell you something -- which is the point. Kind of like
      GIDP
      > in baseball doesn't rank players, but it tells you something if
      used
      > properly.
      >
      > Basketball is so multidimensional -- with so many things going on --

      > that simple stats often don't tell the true story. They tell part
      of
      > the story. Assist-to-turnover ratio is a fine example. Its "lack
      of
      > correlation" with skill doesn't mean that it says nothing at all
      > about quality, it just means that it gets dwarfed by other things
      in
      > importance. I would actually say that coaching quality is
      important,
      > but its importance gets dwarfed by the talent that the coach has.
      We
      > try to give awards to coaches, but they are often pretty much
      > guesswork because the tools for evaluating coaches aren't very
      > refined to overcome the dwarfing impact of talent.
      >
      > DeanO
      >

      > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "HoopStudies" <deano@r...> wrote:
      > > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "John W. Craven" <john1974@u...>
      > > been
      > in
      > > > less
      > rates
      > > > of
      > > Mavs
      > > > set
      > > about
      > > > the

      > > > rating changed over the years? The idea that shooting
      percentages
      > > may
      > > > have fallen in part because teams are choosing less risky (in
      > terms
      > > > of committing TOs) yet less successful (in terms of made FGs
      per
      > > FGs
      > > > attempted) options is one that I hadn't considered until this
      > > thread.
      > > >
      > > > It went up sharply in the '70's, steady in the '80's, and down
      in
      > > > the '90's. It's at least flat or rising now.
      > > >
      > > > Season AvgRtg
      > > > 1974 99
      > > > 1975 99
      > > > 1976 99
      > > > 1977 101
      > > > 1978 102
      > > > 1979 105
      > > > 1980 106
      > > > 1981 107
      > > > 1982 107
      > > > 1983 105
      > > > 1984 108
      > > > 1985 108
      > > > 1986 107
      > > > 1987 108
      > > > 1988 108
      > > > 1989 108
      > > > 1990 108
      > > > 1991 108
      > > > 1992 108
      > > > 1993 108
      > > > 1994 106
      > > > 1995 108
      > > > 1996 108
      > > > 1997 107
      > > > 1998 105
      > > > 1999 102
      > > > 2000 104
      > > > 2001 104
      > > > 2002 105
    • harlanzo
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 23, 2002
        So how dou you meaningfully interpret turnovers? I agree that
        context is important (ie Rodman's low turnovers do not indicate his
        ballhandling ability). Can you estimate touches per game and then
        divide turnovers into this number? That would theoretically balance
        out the problems you mention. (of course determining what is a real
        touch and tos in the half court v. fast break might make differnece
        too.)

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 23, 2002
          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "alleyoop2" <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
          > You said, in part "says nothing at all about quality, it just means
          > that it gets dwarfed by other things in importance."
          >
          > I disagree: I actually think assist-turnover ratio says nothing at
          > all about quality. It is dominated by players who never penetrate
          > like Jeff McInnis and Alvin Williams (or the previous example,
          Muggsy
          > Bogues) and as a result this particular stat is at least as much a
          > contrarian indicator as it is a positive one.

          Quick comment:

          There was a study going around when I was in high school showing that
          studying more hours was not correlated with good grades in classes
          (tainted by the really smart kids not having to study). Does that
          mean that studying doesn't help? No. It means that there are other
          factors that are important. It certainly convinced some people not
          to study. I think they're working at the Piggly Wiggly now.

          Common sense says a high assist-turnover is a good thing, kinda like
          studying is a good thing. An extremely high ratio doesn't
          necessarily make you a good player, as studying infinite hours
          doesn't necessarily make you a good student.

          McInnis, Williams, and Bogues are not horrible players. Not stars by
          any measure, except for assist-turnover ratio. But no one saw them
          as stars, including their coaches who recognized that the ratio has
          some value and kept them around to be solid and safe distributors.

        • bchaikin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 23, 2002
            In a message dated 8/23/02 5:09:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, harlanzo@... writes:

            ".....can you estimate touches per game and then divide turnovers into this number?  that would theoretically balance..."

            this is what the Historical Statistical Database at the www.apbr.org website lists for all players from 1977-78 to the present and for most of the ABA years - turnovers as a percentage of total touches (its listed as %TO). you'll see players like bogues at only 3% TO, meaning 3 turnovers per 100 ball possessions, which is excellent....

            AST/TO ratio is essentially a meaningless statistic. people use it because its easy to calculate - just two simple numbers that are already measured by the league, and at some point someone assigned importance to it. %TO tells you how many times per 100 ball possessions a player turns it over - far more meaningful and it puts every player on the same measuring parameter, that of what occurs per ball possession...

            in 82-83 mike dunleavy (san) had 437 ast and 160 to, for an AST/TO ratio of 2.73. in 95-96 brent price had an AST/TO (416/153) ratio of 2.72. in 90-91 doc rivers had an AST/TO (340/125) ratio of 2.72. but dunleavy's %TO was 6%, brent price's was 5%, and river's was 4%. that means for every 100 ball possessions dunleavy committed 2 more turnovers than rivers did - that's 33% more. so if you are looking for AST/TO ratio to mean something about how well a player handles the ball, you're looking in the wrong place...

            players such as manute bol, james donaldson, george johnson (the shot blocking center, not the forward), darryl dawkins, and today's jahidi white have all had a season of 14-18 %TO, which is a turnover every 5-7 times the player has the ball on offense, pretty awful. %TOs of between 3-5 are typical of most point guards and represent a turnover only every 20-30 times the player has the ball on offense...

            bob chaikin
            bchaikin@...

            in 89-90 terry catledge had an AST/TO (72/181) ratio of 0.40. in 83-83 darryl dawkins had an AST/TO (114/281) ratio of 0.41. but dawkins' %TO was 17% and catledge's was 8.5%, twice as worse, meaning dawkins commited twice as many turnovers per 100 ball possessions...

            the bottom line is that an assist occurs only on a pass, and a turnover can occur whenever a player has the ball, while dribbling, passing, or shooting. the two statistical parameters are not mutually dependent, and thus really have no significance when compared just to each other....

            on the other hand, player ball possessions take into account pretty much everything that can happen when you have the ball - either shoot, pass, get fouled, or turn the ball over. other things like double fouls, offensive fouls, etc. occur rarely and in the big picture can be considered statistically insignificant when trying to determine how often a player turns the ball over, although if measured would surely add to the accuracy of the measurement...

            bob chaikin
            bchaikin@...

          • alleyoop2
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 23, 2002
              Pretty much echoes my thoughts -- turnover rates are only meaningful
              if you include all possessions and not just the ones that end in
              assists...

              One other thing. The Jahidi White stat you mentioned reminds me --
              turnover ratio is misleading when you see a high turnover rate by a
              big man who rarely shoots. Examples from last year are Darvin Ham,
              Charles Oakley, and Alvin Jones. This high TO rate is almost
              certainly from illegal screen calls rather than being an unusually
              poor ballhandler.

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 23, 2002
                On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, alleyoop2 wrote:

                > Pretty much echoes my thoughts -- turnover rates are only meaningful
                > if you include all possessions and not just the ones that end in
                > assists...
                >
                > One other thing. The Jahidi White stat you mentioned reminds me --
                > turnover ratio is misleading when you see a high turnover rate by a
                > big man who rarely shoots. Examples from last year are Darvin Ham,
                > Charles Oakley, and Alvin Jones. This high TO rate is almost
                > certainly from illegal screen calls rather than being an unusually
                > poor ballhandler.

                It's a good point, although how many such offensive fouls do these players
                commit, compared to their ballhandling turnovers? Is it enough to make a
                difference? Maybe, I don't know.

                The thing that makes me uncomfortable with the TOs as a percent of all
                touches is that not all touches are the same. A Dale Ellis type who did
                only two things with the ball -- shoot it or make a safe backward pass --
                got a lot of touches but commited very few turnovers. His Asst:TO ratio
                was probably mediocre but his touches:TO ratio was very good. But that
                didn't make him a good ballhandler.

                Meanwhile, the guys who fed him, Nate McMillan and Sedale Threatt and I
                forget who else on the Sonics, typically scored relatively few points,
                their touches often resulted in either assists or turnovers. McMillan in
                particular had a good asst:TO ratio. His touches:TO ratio was probably
                poor, given how few shots he took so unless you have play-by-play sheets
                to count his non-shooting touches, the touches:TO stat would probably make
                him look like a mediocre ballhander. When in fact he was excellent, a
                creative AND careful ballhandler.

                For players such as Ellis and McMillan, I suspect that asst:TO gives a
                better measure of their ballhandling skill than touches:TO.

                --MKT
              • bchaikin@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 23, 2002
                  In a message dated 8/24/02 12:28:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tamada@... writes:

[...]

                  well then just what is your definition of "...a good ballhandler..."? just what IS a good ball handler? a player who does not turn the ball over often? a good dribbler? a good passer? is your opinion of a good ballhandler someone who can dribble the length of the court against tough pressure without turning the ball over? someone who can dribble between his legs? behind his back?...

                  dale ellis' career %TO is about 6%, excellent for a SG/SF. nate mcmillan's career %TO is about 5%, good for a PG. sedale threatt's is 4-5%, excellent to good for a PG (6% is getting to the poor side for a starting PG)....

                  are all touches the same? in reality of course not - a pass to a wide open cherry picking player for an easy two points is not the same as a player being triple-teamed while stuck in the backcourt. but in general and for statistical purposes, all touches are indeed the same - because with each touch a player is eventually trying to score himself or trying to set up a teammate to score, and he can in general do one of only four things - either shoot, pass, get fouled, or turn it over....

                  over the span of a season dale ellis is guarded by as many good defenders as nate mcmillan is, and as many as sedale threatt is. no player is guarded by poor defenders far more often than any other player - more often yes, but not far more often. sure most of the time michael jordan was guarded by a tougher defender than john paxson or b.j. armstrong was, but with constant switchoffs, 3 on 2s, shooters blowing past their man only to be confronted by a big man, etc, and not every team having a joe dumars, in reality and over the long haul players are guarded by the same type of players. for every game george gervin in his prime was guarded by t.r. dunn or dennis johnson or sidney moncrief, there were games where he was also guarded by lloyd free and darrell griffith and kevin grevey and pete maravich...

                  so in essence a touch is a touch as with each touch of the ball on offense players are trying to score or trying to set up a scoring opportunity....

                  "...the guys who fed him....their touches often resulted in either assists or turnovers...." is inaccurate. take nate mcmillan, a player who rarely shot the ball. well his FGAs still outnumber his TOs by almost 4 to 1. he did average more TOs than FTAs, but far more FGAs than TOs. thus if mcmillan wasn't passing (70-80% of the time he had possession of the ball), he was more than likely shooting (10-20% of the time he had the ball), and only turned the ball over 5% of the time or got fouled 3-4% of the time - infrequently. sedale threatt in his career shot the ball 5 to 6 times more often than he committed a TO...

                  bob chaikin
                  bchaikin@...

                • mikel_ind
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 24, 2002
                    I am still unclear about estimating 'touches'. Is this a term for
                    all possessions 'used'? i.e., a touch which results in a shot
                    attempt, foul, turnover, or assist?

                    If it isn't referring to a literal 'touch' (or temporary possession
                    of the ball), then it seems like not quite the right term. (Though,
                    it is notably more brief than 'possession used'.)

                    The real point of my inquiry is not the term one may use here, but
                    whether there are uncounted touches (low-risk passes, for example)
                    left out of the equation here. Players swinging the ball around the
                    perimeter, passing out of the double team -- whatever situation that
                    does not register an assist or TO -- don't get credited (or charged),
                    and yet they touched the ball.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 24, 2002

                      possession factor (touches per minute) =

                                (shots) + (passes) + (# times fouled) + (turnovers)

                      shots = FGA
                      passes = ast/factorA
                      #times fouled = FTA/factorB

                      if you don't understand this or want to see it in "action" you can download the free demo from "members.aol.com/bchaikin" where the software plays entire seasons in minutes and then lists, among a hundred other things, player total possessions for a season...
                    • John W. Craven
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 24, 2002
                        On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, mikel_ind wrote:

                        > I am still unclear about estimating 'touches'. Is this a term for
                        > all possessions 'used'? i.e., a touch which results in a shot
                        > attempt, foul, turnover, or assist?
                        >
                        > If it isn't referring to a literal 'touch' (or temporary possession
                        > of the ball), then it seems like not quite the right term. (Though,
                        > it is notably more brief than 'possession used'.)
                        >
                        > The real point of my inquiry is not the term one may use here, but
                        > whether there are uncounted touches (low-risk passes, for example)
                        > left out of the equation here. Players swinging the ball around the
                        > perimeter, passing out of the double team -- whatever situation that
                        > does not register an assist or TO -- don't get credited (or charged),
                        > and yet they touched the ball.

                        And then there's the question of especially tough "touches," the type that Allen Iverson seems to get a lot of. I'm talking about the situations where a player gets the ball with 5 seconds or left on the shot clock and must create something. If we ever do a Project Scoresheet thing with the NBA, I'd like to see us track these kinds of touches.

                        Anyway, I do have a couple points on Threatt, at least as to why his TOs/touch may be so low. For one, he tended to split his minutes between the 1 and the 2. For two, IIRC he was much more of a jump shooter who passed to the open man than a "drive-and-draw" style point guard; while both have their relative advantages and disadvantages, it seems to me that the particular disadvantages of the Threatt type (more breakdowns on offense lead to lower-percentage shots, more turnovers by other players, and the occasional shot-clock violation) don't show up in his line in the box score.

                        John Craven

                        > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., bchaikin@a... wrote:
                        > > In a message dated 8/23/02 5:09:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > > harlanzo@y... writes:
                        > >
                        > > ".....can you estimate touches per game ... ?>
                        >
                        > > this is what the Historical Statistical Database at the
                        > www.apbr.org website
                        > > lists for all players from 1977-78 to the present and for most of
                        > the ABA
                        > > years - turnovers as a percentage of total touches (its listed as %
                        > TO).
                        > > you'll see players like bogues at only 3% TO, meaning 3 turnovers
                        > per 100
                        > > ball possessions, which is excellent....
                        >

                        > > AST/TO ratio is essentially a meaningless statistic. people use it
                        > because
                        > > its easy to calculate - just two simple numbers that are already
                        > measured by
                        > > the league, and at some point someone assigned importance to it. %
                        > TO tells
                        > > you how many times per 100 ball possessions a player turns it over -
                        > far more
                        > > meaningful and it puts every player on the same measuring
                        > parameter, that of
                        > > what occurs per ball possession...

                      • dlirag
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 26, 2002
                          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...> wrote:
                          > So how do you meaningfully interpret turnovers? I agree that
                          > context is important (ie Rodman's low turnovers do not indicate his
                          > ballhandling ability). Can you estimate touches per game and then
                          > divide turnovers into this number? That would theoretically
                          balance
                          > out the problems you mention. (of course determining what is a
                          real
                          > touch and tos in the half court v. fast break might make differnece
                          > too.)

                          That's what Bob Chaikin does in his program. He defines touches per
                          game as the sum of FGA, TO, the number of passes the player makes,
                          and the number of times he was fouled. It seems that the best
                          ballhandlers are usually the point guards, turning the ball over on 5-
                          6% of their touches. PF's and C's are on the other end of the
                          spectrum with TO/touch percentages of 10% or more.