Re: Euclidian comparison of current and past players

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2002
      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Michael K. Tamada" <tamada@o...> wrote:
      > > Actually I think of Majerle and Moncrief as being fairly similar,
      >
      > What little I saw of Moncrief had him scoring around the basket and
      > midrange. Majerle was the thunderdunker, then he had the 30-
      footer,
      > but apparently nothing midrange. Perhaps the ultimate case of a
      guy
      > with unlimited range (in and out) who only gets 10-12 points in 36
      > min.

      Moncrief was quicker and smaller, an outstanding defender. Majerle
      was bigger, still pretty quick, but also strong enough to avoid using
      his quickness. He played D well when he wanted to and wasn't hurt.
      Moncrief was the perceived star of his teams. Majerle was not.
      Moncrief was a better player, without a doubt.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2002
        On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

        [...]

        > Moncrief was the perceived star of his teams. Majerle was not.
        > Moncrief was a better player, without a doubt.

        No question that Moncrief was better, although wasn't Marques Johnson
        still around when Moncrief joined the Bucks? MJ had been the star
        previously and I think of those Bucks teams as having two perceived stars,
        Marques and Moncrief.

        I think Marques joined the league the same year as Bernard King and Walter
        Davis, an incredible trio of SFs coming into the league at once. Injuries
        shortened his career, but he possessed a wider range of all-around skills
        than the other two, and might have been the best of them overall,
        quality-wise if not longevity-wise. Yet another negative contribution of
        Benoit Benajamin to the NBA: his (inadvertent) collision with Marques
        Johnson broke Johnson's neck and finished his NBA career.

        --MKT
      • alleyoop2
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2002
          "He is another guy with big per-minute numbers who played
          mysteriously few minutes (28 pg) for his career."

          If I'm not mistaken, Mickey played so few minutes because he was a
          major pain in the ass and didn't play any defense.