Re: Vin Baker Trade (E vs. W)

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 25, 2002
      > Yes, this apparently applies to teams as well. Some people in
      > rec.sport.basketball.pro have concluded that the Eastern teams, due
      > their easier schedules, get more wins than they would get if the
      schedule
      > were 50-50 East-West. But only 1 or 2 more wins, not a huge
      impact.
      > West teams of course also lose 1-2 extra games, but even the
      combined
      > impact, though not negligible, is not huge.

      Ken Massey suggests that the point difference between schedules in
      the NBA is a little over a point per game. Lakers had the toughest
      and the Bucks had the weakest. About 1 ppg is equivalent to about 3
      wins, as a lot of people have pointed out. The difference between
      the west and the east, according to Massey, was about 0.5 ppg, which
      is 1-2 extra games. So good call by those guys in rsbp.

      I would personally think that the the effect on individuals would be
      greater, but I've never thought enough about it to really know how to
      study it.