Re: Cha at Mil, 5/20

    Message 1 of 18 , May 23, 2001
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., harlanzo@y... wrote:
      > I was watching the ESPN classic Phoenix-Boston finals of 76 with a
      > buddy. We both could not help but notice how weak the defense
      > looked. Have you scored any of these old games defensively. I
      > wonder if weaker defense would be reflected in the defensive
      scoring
      > system?

      I think I had a defensive epiphany tonight. "Epiphany" may be
      strong. I'll fill you in later. Damn, I'm obsessed.

      WRT old games, I don't get espn classic, so I've never scored an old
      game. I would love to get hold of a bunch of these tapes and do some
      scoring. Heck, I'd love to have you guys get hold of them and do the
      scoring because I don't sleep anymore.

      I do think Bob is right about changing rules. I doubt the new rules
      will improve the violence of the league. It will change the game if
      they let it. It will make it more defensive, at least in the short
      term. Long term is harder to say. I would definitely like to see
      them call hard fouls the way they should. Throw people out much more
      often, as far as I'm concerned.

      Baron Davis is definitely good. He's playing well and he made big
      strides over his rookie year. My sense is that the guards are a big
      part of the defense on the Hornet team, an unusual thing. Davis is
      still raw, but is on his way. I have him with a win-loss record of
      10.1-3.8. In his 82 games, his O rtg was higher than his D rtg 48
      times. Pretty good. I have his Net Pts/48 minutes as 0.2 or 1.1,
      depending on how you calculate it.

      McKie is a little different. He, like Iverson, really benefits from
      Coach Brown, who has made this a good defense (I'd support his award
      more than Iverson's or McKie's). McKie's O rtg has been about 101
      the last 2 years. His D rtg has been about 98. His win-loss record
      the last 2 years is 10.1-5.7. This past year, his O rtg was better
      than his D rtg in 47 of 76 games. I haven't tracked his playoff #'s,
      but they seem to have been good.

    • deanlav@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , May 24, 2001
        I get ESPN Classic.  If you'd like I'll try to score some.  Do you have a step-by-step guide as to how to do it?

        Dean L

      • msg_53@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 18 , May 24, 2001

          . i believe the league is
          > allowing zone defenses next year to force teams to run more to
          prevent a zone
          > from being set up in the first place. but it will backfire in
          making the game
          > even more slowed down with less true action...
          >
          > bob chaikin

          I see it the same way as Bob. Allowing even more defense, and
          forcing more on the offense seems transparently to favor defenses.
          How is it enhancing offense to force teams to move the ball up in 8
          sec. instead of 10?
          I have wondered if the shot clock should be 30 sec. instead of
          24. After a team brings the ball to within 25 feet, typically there
          are 16-18 sec. left; a couple of passes and there are 6-8 sec. left.
          Now it is desparation time. Another 6 sec. to set up gives offenses
          almost twice the time to set up a good shot.
          Didn't the ABA allow 30 sec? Were they plagued by low-scoring
          games?
        • msg_53@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 24, 2001
            I would definitely like to see
            > them call hard fouls the way they should. Throw people out much
            more
            > often, as far as I'm concerned.

            I don't like the idea of ejecting players, except in desperation.
            If a star player or 2, or 3, are gone, the game is hardly worth
            watching. Like locking up criminals and throwing away the key, in
            practice it doesn't work.
            Giving the damaged party 2 or 3 or 4 FTs, all the while the
            opposing coach is chewing out his player, would be better.
            Putting the onus on the refs, to eject Shaq in LA, would generally
            result in no penalty at all. Ejection is so "all-or-nothing". How
            to throw out the bathwater without tossing the baby.]
            How about this rule: first team flagrant foul = 2 FT and the ball
            out; 2nd team flagrant = 4 FT and the ball; etc...
            What we want is that the game not get out of hand, right?

            > Baron Davis is definitely good. He's playing well and he made big
            > strides over his rookie year. My sense is that the guards are a
            big
            > part of the defense on the Hornet team, an unusual thing. Davis is
            > still raw, but is on his way. I have him with a win-loss record of
            > 10.1-3.8. In his 82 games, his O rtg was higher than his D rtg 48
            > times. Pretty good. I have his Net Pts/48 minutes as 0.2 or 1.1,
            > depending on how you calculate it.

            I had Davis among the most-improved leaders all season. He really
            brought it in the playoffs, too.

            > McKie is a little different. He, like Iverson, really benefits
            from
            > Coach Brown, who has made this a good defense (I'd support his
            award
            > more than Iverson's or McKie's). McKie's O rtg has been about 101
            > the last 2 years. His D rtg has been about 98. His win-loss
            record
            > the last 2 years is 10.1-5.7. This past year, his O rtg was better
            > than his D rtg in 47 of 76 games. I haven't tracked his playoff
            #'s,
            > but they seem to have been good.
            >
            > Dean Oliver
            > Journal of Basketball Studies

            Aaron McKie is having his 3rd straight playoff overachieving year.
            It seems to be a feature of his career: ok season, stupendous
            postseason.
          • Andy Finkelstein
            Message 5 of 18 , May 24, 2001
              If you push the shot clock to 30 seconds, I would think that the games would be even *lower* scoring than they are now!  I have always felt that if the league wants to increase scoring, the shot clock should be reduced to *20* seconds. If nothing else, I think it should force even *more* shots per game, and therefore more chances for points to be scored.

              Also, could someone explain to me how the "8 seconds to cross the backcourt line instead of 10" will increase scoring? Personally, I don't think there should be *any* limit... I mean, if there's a shot clock to control your possession, who cares *how* long it take you to cross halfcourt, as long as you get your shot off in time?

              Thanks,
              Andy

              msg_53@... wrote:

              . i believe the league is
              > allowing zone defenses next year to force teams to run more to
              prevent a zone
              > from being set up in the first place. but it will backfire in
              making the game
              > even more slowed down with less true action...
              >
              > bob chaikin

                  I see it the same way as Bob.  Allowing even more defense, and
              forcing more on the offense seems transparently to favor defenses.
              How is it enhancing offense to force teams to move the ball up in 8
              sec. instead of 10?
                  I have wondered if the shot clock should be 30 sec. instead of
              24.  After a team brings the ball to within 25 feet, typically there
              are 16-18 sec. left; a couple of passes and there are 6-8 sec. left.
              Now it is desparation time.  Another 6 sec. to set up gives offenses
              almost twice the time to set up a good shot.
                  Didn't the ABA allow 30 sec?  Were they plagued by low-scoring
              games?

            • Ed Weiland
              Message 6 of 18 , May 26, 2001
                The Lakers didn't have a historic regular season in
                either W-L record or point differential. But they
                might be on their way to an unprecedented 15-0 sweep
                through the playoffs. I know there's a lot of
                basketball to be played yet, but whether it's the
                Bucks or the Sixers, the East opponent will not only
                be worn down, they'll also be possibly the worst team
                the Lakers will face during their run. A four game
                sweep in the finals is not only a possibility, it
                seems downright likely. Especially if 15-0 (or
                tree-fo-fo-fo as Moses Malone might put it) is a
                possibility going in. You know the Lakers are thinking
                about it now and will be gunning for it.

                Here are some of the best playoff runs until this
                season that I found:

                '61 Celtics 8-2 11.9 point diff
                '71 Bucks 12-2 14.5
                '82 Lakers 12-2 6.1
                '83 Sixers 12-1 6.5
                '86 Celtics 15-3 10.3
                '87 Lakers 15-3 11.4
                '91 Bulls 15-2 11.8
                '96 Bulls 15-3 10.6

                The '01 Lakers are 10-0/14.1 so far. I don't ever like
                to declare any team the best ever, especially a team
                hasn't even been crowned champions yet and that's not
                what I'm saying here. I will say that IF the Lakers go
                on to run the table in the playoffs, you'd at the very
                least have to call it the most impressive playoff
                performance ever. Considering it's being done against
                possibly the best eight team field one conference has
                ever sent into the playoffs, it's that much more
                amazing. Kind of a bummer, since I was looking forward
                to a more exciting playoffs. At least we might get to
                see history made.

                Ed Weiland

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • msg_53@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 26, 2001
                  The 1989 Lakers were 11-0 going to the Finals, but they got swept
                  there by Detroit. Has anyone else even gone 11-0 in their
                  conference? ( or anything-and-0 )?
                  The largest playoff margin of victory was not by anyone listed
                  below. The 1956 Lakers outscored their opponents by 18.7 ppg. They
                  lost to the Hawks 116-115, won 145-73, and lost again by 116-115.
                  Incredible but true, one of my favorite trivia items!
                  Maybe the Hawks all had food poisoning or something, in game 2.
                  For the record, I predicted the Lakers were due for one of their
                  30-point playoff losses, and I may have the record of being wrong by
                  69 points!
                  Beat that!

                  --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Ed Weiland <weiland1029@y...> wrote:

                  > The Lakers didn't have a historic regular season in
                  > either W-L record or point differential. But they
                  > might be on their way to an unprecedented 15-0 sweep
                  > through the playoffs. I know there's a lot of
                  > basketball to be played yet, but whether it's the
                  > Bucks or the Sixers, the East opponent will not only
                  > be worn down, they'll also be possibly the worst team
                  > the Lakers will face during their run. A four game
                  > sweep in the finals is not only a possibility, it
                  > seems downright likely. Especially if 15-0 (or
                  > tree-fo-fo-fo as Moses Malone might put it) is a
                  > possibility going in. You know the Lakers are thinking
                  > about it now and will be gunning for it.
                  >
                  > Here are some of the best playoff runs until this
                  > season that I found:
                  >
                  > '61 Celtics 8-2 11.9 point diff
                  > '71 Bucks 12-2 14.5
                  > '82 Lakers 12-2 6.1
                  > '83 Sixers 12-1 6.5
                  > '86 Celtics 15-3 10.3
                  > '87 Lakers 15-3 11.4
                  > '91 Bulls 15-2 11.8
                  > '96 Bulls 15-3 10.6
                  >

                  > The '01 Lakers are 10-0/14.1 so far. I don't ever like
                  > to declare any team the best ever, especially a team
                  > hasn't even been crowned champions yet and that's not
                  > what I'm saying here. I will say that IF the Lakers go
                  > on to run the table in the playoffs, you'd at the very
                  > least have to call it the most impressive playoff
                  > performance ever. Considering it's being done against
                  > possibly the best eight team field one conference has
                  > ever sent into the playoffs, it's that much more
                  > amazing. Kind of a bummer, since I was looking forward
                  > to a more exciting playoffs. At least we might get to
                  > see history made.
                  >
                  > Ed Weiland

                  > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                • Ed Weiland
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 27, 2001
                    --- msg_53@... wrote:
                    > The 1989 Lakers were 11-0 going to the Finals,
                    > but they got swept
                    > there by Detroit. Has anyone else even gone 11-0 in
                    > their
                    > conference? ( or anything-and-0 )?

                    The '89 Lakers are the only team to sweep their way
                    through 11 playoff games. Back when the playoffs
                    consisted of not so many games there were these teams
                    going unbeaten in playoff games before the finals:

                    '49 Lakers 4-0
                    '50 Lakers 6-0
                    '54 Nats 6-0
                    '57 Hawks 5-0
                    '57 Celtics 3-0
                    '82 Lakers 8-0

                    Closest was the '96 Bulls who went 11-1 pre-finals,
                    losing only an OT game to the Knicks.

                    '> The largest playoff margin of victory was not by
                    > anyone listed
                    > below. The 1956 Lakers outscored their opponents by
                    > 18.7 ppg. They
                    > lost to the Hawks 116-115, won 145-73, and lost
                    > again by 116-115.
                    > Incredible but true, one of my favorite trivia
                    > items!
                    > Maybe the Hawks all had food poisoning or
                    > something, in game 2.

                    Perhaps the game one win gave St. Louis enough
                    confidence to coast through game 2. Seriously though,
                    that is a wacky fact. Thanks for mentioning it.

                    > For the record, I predicted the Lakers were due
                    > for one of their
                    > 30-point playoff losses, and I may have the record
                    > of being wrong by
                    > 69 points!
                    > Beat that!

                    I thought the Spurs would win game three also, but I'm
                    sort of a long time Laker-hater and I figured that was
                    probably just wishful thinking on my part. : (

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 28, 2001
                      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., <deanlav@y...> wrote:
                      > I get ESPN Classic. If you'd like I'll try to score some. Do you
                      have a
                      > step-by-step guide as to how to do it?
                      >
                      > Dean L

                      I have two scoring techniques, one for the offense and one for the
                      defense. The offensive method is documented in a couple places

                      http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/articles/aa060897.htm

                      and

                      http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/methdesc.html#pss

                      For defense, I originally developed a similar-looking scoresheet
                      technique that is documented here

                      http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/articles/dscoresheet.html

                      This, however, is hard to do. It is an immense amount of work and
                      the analysis of the data takes and additional amount.

                      Instead, I have posted a spreadsheet under the Files section here

                      called defstophandchart.xls that is just a tally sheet of
                      non-traditional numbers. Putting these numbers together with blocks,
                      steals, and defensive rebounds allows some counting of "Defensive
                      Stops" for individuals, one thing I really want to track. The
                      non-traditional stats are Forced Misses, Forced Turnovers, and Forced
                      missed free throws. I also have in there Allowed Field Goals and
                      Allowed Free throws. There is an explanation of how to score things
                      in the spreadsheet.

                      There clearly is some interpretation involved in doing the scoring.
                      I find that scoring off of offensive rebounds is hard -- I often
                      award a made FG off of an OR to the team unless it's obvious whose
                      man picked up the garbage.

                      Take a stab and ask me questions. I'd also be curious to score the
                      same game as you to see how scoring varies between scorers. (I have
                      found that official scorers occasional give steals to the wrong
                      person and blocks are sometimes very questionable.)

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 28, 2001
                        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., msg_53@h... wrote:
                        > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@t...> wrote:
                        > I would definitely like to see
                        > > them call hard fouls the way they should. Throw people out much
                        > more
                        > > often, as far as I'm concerned.
                        > >
                        > I don't like the idea of ejecting players, except in
                        desperation.
                        > If a star player or 2, or 3, are gone, the game is hardly worth
                        > watching. Like locking up criminals and throwing away the key, in
                        > practice it doesn't work.
                        > Giving the damaged party 2 or 3 or 4 FTs, all the while the
                        > opposing coach is chewing out his player, would be better.
                        > Putting the onus on the refs, to eject Shaq in LA, would
                        generally
                        > result in no penalty at all. Ejection is so "all-or-nothing". How
                        > to throw out the bathwater without tossing the baby.]
                        > How about this rule: first team flagrant foul = 2 FT and the
                        ball
                        > out; 2nd team flagrant = 4 FT and the ball; etc...
                        > What we want is that the game not get out of hand, right?

                        I guess this is a sociological issue, isn't it? Increase the penalty
                        or the likelihood of getting caught. I took a class once called the
                        Economics of Crime. Very interesting studies of tax evaders and how
                        to deter tax crime, among other things. A general conclusion of the
                        profs was that increasing the likelihood of getting caught was the
                        greatest deterrent in avoiding crime -- not increasing the penalty.

                        Making the analogy to basketball, this would imply that flagrant
                        fouls actually get called, not that we increase the penalty for them.
                        I'm not convinced this is right because it is so ingrained in
                        players now that 2 fta's plus the ball is still not as bad as giving
                        up a layup. Maybe.

                        What I want is not that the game get out of hand, but there is not a
                        reward for fouling in a layup situation, which there is now.

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 28, 2001
                          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Andy Finkelstein <andyf@b...> wrote:
                          > If you push the shot clock to 30 seconds, I would think that the
                          games
                          > would be even *lower* scoring than they are now! I have always
                          felt
                          > that if the league wants to increase scoring, the shot clock should
                          be
                          > reduced to *20* seconds. If nothing else, I think it should force
                          even
                          > *more* shots per game, and therefore more chances for points to be
                          > scored.

                          Highly likely that increasing the clock would mean lower scoring
                          games. Likely that reducing the clock would increase point totals
                          without significant impact on efficiency.

                          > Also, could someone explain to me how the "8 seconds to cross the
                          > backcourt line instead of 10" will increase scoring? Personally, I
                          don't
                          > think there should be *any* limit... I mean, if there's a shot
                          clock to
                          > control your possession, who cares *how* long it take you to cross
                          > halfcourt, as long as you get your shot off in time?

                          Here is why it _may_ help. By decreasing that time, you tempt
                          defenses to actually pull out a full-court press, which causes either
                          quick turnovers or quick scores on the other end. It's not clear
                          whether 8 seconds is enough to make a difference, esp. since common
                          wisdom is that you cannot press NBA point guards. I personally think
                          that this is going to make almost no difference next year. It may
                          have a difference in a couple years.

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 28, 2001
                            --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Ed Weiland <weiland1029@y...> wrote:

                            > The Lakers didn't have a historic regular season in
                            > either W-L record or point differential. But they
                            > might be on their way to an unprecedented 15-0 sweep

                            Ed's points are very good here. I'd been thinking about it myself.
                            One thing I would add is that the Laker defense was the weakspot
                            during the regular season. It is also what has improved
                            significantly in the playoffs. This points to 2 things

                            1. It emphasizes that defense is what takes effort and that the
                            Lakers were a bit lazy during the season, knowing that they could
                            turn it on in the postseason.

                            2. The best offensive teams are probably better off in the playoffs.
                            I did a quick study of this (using certain assumptions about whether
                            teams slack off in the regular season) and posted it at

                            http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/articles/aa082197.htm

                            "They Say Defense Wins Championships"...

                            For the record, I had the Lakers and the Bucks with the best offense
                            this year.

                            > through the playoffs. I know there's a lot of
                            > basketball to be played yet, but whether it's the
                            > Bucks or the Sixers, the East opponent will not only
                            > be worn down, they'll also be possibly the worst team
                            > the Lakers will face during their run. A four game
                            > sweep in the finals is not only a possibility, it
                            > seems downright likely. Especially if 15-0 (or
                            > tree-fo-fo-fo as Moses Malone might put it) is a
                            > possibility going in. You know the Lakers are thinking
                            > about it now and will be gunning for it.
                            >
                            > Here are some of the best playoff runs until this
                            > season that I found:
                            >
                            > '61 Celtics 8-2 11.9 point diff
                            > '71 Bucks 12-2 14.5
                            > '82 Lakers 12-2 6.1
                            > '83 Sixers 12-1 6.5
                            > '86 Celtics 15-3 10.3
                            > '87 Lakers 15-3 11.4
                            > '91 Bulls 15-2 11.8
                            > '96 Bulls 15-3 10.6
                            >

                            > The '01 Lakers are 10-0/14.1 so far. I don't ever like
                            > to declare any team the best ever, especially a team
                            > hasn't even been crowned champions yet and that's not
                            > what I'm saying here. I will say that IF the Lakers go
                            > on to run the table in the playoffs, you'd at the very
                            > least have to call it the most impressive playoff
                            > performance ever. Considering it's being done against
                            > possibly the best eight team field one conference has
                            > ever sent into the playoffs, it's that much more
                            > amazing. Kind of a bummer, since I was looking forward
                            > to a more exciting playoffs. At least we might get to
                            > see history made.
                            >
                            > Ed Weiland

                            > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                          • John Grasso
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 30, 2001
                              For the record the score of the second game was Minneapolis 133 St. Louis
                              75 - a 58 point margin which at that time was the largest margin of victory
                              in the NBA for any game - playoff or regular season.

                              The regular season record was topped in 1960 by the Nats over the Knicks
                              162-100. The current record is Cleveland's 148-80 win over Miami in 1990.
                              But the Lakers still own the playoff record.