Re: Effect of Losing Man on Defense

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8 4:52 PM
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "aussievamp2" <rnmscott@b...> wrote:
      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Dean Oliver <deano@t...> wrote:
      > >
      > > As mentioned a couple messages ago, I have started to look at the
      > effect
      > > of losing certain players on their team defense. Knowing that
      > defense is
      > > the toughest thing to quantify, I look for opportunities to do so
      > when
      > > players miss games or get traded. Specifically, I looked at some
      > of Doug
      > > Steele's top defensive players
      > >
      > > http://shell.rmi.net/~doug/00-01DefensiveTendex.html
      >

      > This link doesn't seem to work, is it reproduced anywhere?

      http://home.rmi.net/~doug/00-01DefensiveTendex.html

      DeanO
    • Richard Scott
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8 5:25 PM
        Thanks Dean.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9 10:48 AM
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9 1:53 PM
            --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
            > the formula didn't seem to show defense much better than tndex or
            > many other systems do, am i missing something? i just wonder why
            it
            > is called defensive rating or whatever you call it when it shows
            > offense a lot too.

            Just to clarify -- Doug calculates his tendex rating on all players
            but he also matches up players offensively and defensively. What he
            then does is evaluate how well defenders lower their opponent's
            tendex rating relative to their averages. This is to show that
            players who are good defenders, like Bruce Bowen, who also get
            matched up against the tough shooters, get credit for bringing down
            good offensive players to only decent offensive players. Doug told
            me that the tendex rating that he calculates for this actually does
            not include steals, blocks, or defensive rebounds after I suggested
            that reduction in those stats really isn't the doing of a defender.