Re: [APBR_analysis] WNBA talent level rising?

  • John Maxwell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2002
      > I'm not certain about talent levels increasing (or how you would determine
      > that -- does increasing offense mean talent is necessarily increasing?),
      but
      > the league has only gotten slightly younger over its duration.
      >

      > -- Not sure John, but think there is perhaps a relationship between talent
      > and shooting
      > and ball-handling? Unless the defenses have got worse I suppose?

      That was my not-too-well presented thought. If scoring goes down, is it
      because offenses stink? because they use more time on the shot clock to
      secure a more efficient shot? or because the defenses have improved? Which
      is the chicken and which is the egg? I'm not sure how you start going about
      breaking that down.
    • Richard Scott
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2002
          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "John Maxwell" <John.Maxwell@C...> wrote:
          > I'm not certain about talent levels increasing (or how you would
          determine
          > that -- does increasing offense mean talent is necessarily
          increasing?), but
          > the league has only gotten slightly younger over its duration.

          This is a fundamental question actually. It has important
          ramifications for the importance of other things -- like coaching,
          strategy, "chemistry", etc. What is talent? How do we measure
          talent vs performance? Has offensive talent gone down since
          the '80's or just offensive performance -- due to better coaching on
          the defensive end, better defensive talent, etc. There are a bunch
          of papers on the effect of coaching on winning, but I don't think any
          of them do it very well. They assume that they can measure talent
          using something like a Pythagorean relationship and the difference
          between actuall winning % and the Pythagorean projection is
          coaching. Blech.

          > The adjusted league average for years of age has dropped from 27.3
          in 1997
          > to 26.7 in 2001. It was actually lower in 2000 at 26.5. By adjusted
          age I
          > mean that I weighed age for minutes played so that the 38 year old
          that
          > never gets off the bench does not count the same as the 23 year old
          that
          > averages 35 minutes per game.
          >
          > The "peak age" for female basketball players is 26-29 as it has
          been shown
          > to be in other sports, most notably baseball.

          One of these days, I'll actually do the study for the NBA, but I've
          always been happy with the assumption of this peak age range for NBA
          players. I did just see a paper suggesting that women reach their
          performance peak a little later due to having kids. I did remember a
          story in SI that looked at female track athletes and present cases
          where they seemed to get a lot better after having kids.

          DeanO
        • mike harmon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2002
            I would suggest that the "talent level" is roughly the
            same but what we are seeing is the affects of full
            time coaching and the stablity of the franchises.
            Reguardless of the level of play, continuity leads to
            a higher level of play. As in college, a fouth year
            starter understands the "system" that the head coach
            has implemented. Lets look to the NBA for examples.
            Phil Jackson, Chuck Daly, Greg Popovich (NBA Champions
            ) along with Don Nelson, Larry Brown, Pat Riley, Jerry
            Sloan, etc. had to have their system in place along
            with the talent.
            As the WNBA gains more stength and stability look for
            the level of play and not talent to continue to
            increase.
            Mike Harmon

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Richard Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2002
              Interesting point. How would you define 'strength' as you say here?

              The league has had the same number of teams as currently since 2000 I think?
              So some stability there, but will they all survive, or be likely to survive?

              Richard

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                "Strength" in my mind is defined as being able to draw
                support to the product ( enough to more than just
                survive ). If the WNBA decides to become as the men's
                sports in the U.S. and strike, we may see that
                "strength" dwindle and the WNBA become a memory.
                --- Richard Scott <rnmscott@...> wrote:
                > Interesting point. How would you define 'strength'
                > as you say here?
                >
                > The league has had the same number of teams as
                > currently since 2000 I think?
                > So some stability there, but will they all survive,
                > or be likely to survive?
                >
                > Richard

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • rnmscott
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2002
                  right,well around the world professional sport in a bit of a 'downturn'
                  in the sports marketing lifestyle I guess,so be interesting to see if a
                  minor league like the WNBA can survive