Re: Some conceptual questions

  • aussievamp2
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4 10:57 PM
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mike Goodman" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
      > Good hands are IT. A player of any size who shows up with bad
      hands
      > is pretty useless. A few players have good hands almost every
      day.
      > I would rather come without my shot than without good hands.

      I agree. I have a sort of theory that assist to turnover ratio
      defines 'talent' to some degree for want of a better word, and maybe
      this is it (cf difference between NBA, college, NBL, WNBA, etc. etc.)

      Of course, I could just be whacked out, any comments?
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8 4:54 PM
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "aussievamp2" <rnmscott@b...> wrote:
        > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mike Goodman" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
        > > Good hands are IT. A player of any size who shows up with bad
        > hands
        > > is pretty useless. A few players have good hands almost every
        > day.
        > > I would rather come without my shot than without good hands.
        > >

        > I agree. I have a sort of theory that assist to turnover ratio
        > defines 'talent' to some degree for want of a better word, and
        maybe
        > this is it (cf difference between NBA, college, NBL, WNBA, etc.
        etc.)

        > Of course, I could just be whacked out, any comments?

        Assist-to-turnover ratio reflects style of play, position, coaching,
        strategy -- lots more than just pure talent. Isolating talent is
        hard.
      • Richard Scott
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8 5:24 PM
          Assist-to-turnover ratio reflects style of play, position, coaching,
          strategy -- lots more than just pure talent. Isolating talent is
          hard.

          -- Yeah, it is. It could be 'goodness of execution' factor as well as
          talent?

          e.g. college < WNBA < NBL/Euroleague < NBA etc.

          of course depends on how the stats are kept too if there is 'assist
          inflation' in the NBA.

          Thanks,

          Richard