Re: Effect of Losing Man on Defense

  • aussievamp2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Dean Oliver <deano@t...> wrote:

      > As mentioned a couple messages ago, I have started to look at the
      effect
      > of losing certain players on their team defense. Knowing that
      defense is
      > the toughest thing to quantify, I look for opportunities to do so
      when
      > players miss games or get traded. Specifically, I looked at some
      of Doug
      > Steele's top defensive players
      >
      > http://shell.rmi.net/~doug/00-01DefensiveTendex.html

      This link doesn't seem to work, is it reproduced anywhere?

      Thanks,

      Richard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "aussievamp2" <rnmscott@b...> wrote:
        > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Dean Oliver <deano@t...> wrote:
        > >
        > > As mentioned a couple messages ago, I have started to look at the
        > effect
        > > of losing certain players on their team defense. Knowing that
        > defense is
        > > the toughest thing to quantify, I look for opportunities to do so
        > when
        > > players miss games or get traded. Specifically, I looked at some
        > of Doug
        > > Steele's top defensive players
        > >
        > > http://shell.rmi.net/~doug/00-01DefensiveTendex.html
        >

        > This link doesn't seem to work, is it reproduced anywhere?

        http://home.rmi.net/~doug/00-01DefensiveTendex.html

        DeanO
      • Richard Scott
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
          Thanks Dean.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
              --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
              > the formula didn't seem to show defense much better than tndex or
              > many other systems do, am i missing something? i just wonder why
              it
              > is called defensive rating or whatever you call it when it shows
              > offense a lot too.

              Just to clarify -- Doug calculates his tendex rating on all players
              but he also matches up players offensively and defensively. What he
              then does is evaluate how well defenders lower their opponent's
              tendex rating relative to their averages. This is to show that
              players who are good defenders, like Bruce Bowen, who also get
              matched up against the tough shooters, get credit for bringing down
              good offensive players to only decent offensive players. Doug told
              me that the tendex rating that he calculates for this actually does
              not include steals, blocks, or defensive rebounds after I suggested
              that reduction in those stats really isn't the doing of a defender.