Re: Yao Ming

    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 4, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Ed Weiland <weiland1029@y...> wrote:

      > His numbers in the CBA for last seaon were 31.6 ppg,
      > 19.3 rpg and 3 apg. That's with a .732 FG pct. This is
      > for 44 games, regular season and playoffs. I don't
      > know where the CBA ranks in terms of quality, but
      > that's a hell of a player in just about any league.
      > Considering he's 7'5 and still young (22, IIRC)
      > there's plenty of reason to think there's something
      > special here.

      The CBA is assessed as equivalent to about Division II basketball.
      The .732 FG% is definitely impressive. I hadn't seen that.

      Frankly, no one here or in the NBA is doing much more than guessing
      about Ming. He does have major -- insert everyone's favorite word
      here -- upside!!! That's what his draw is.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.