Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Yao Ming

  • Ed Weiland
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 4 5:57 AM
      --- alleyoop2 <alleyoop2@...> wrote:

      > Second, am I the only person who think Yao Ming can
      > score 20 points a
      > game, maybe get 7 or 8 rebounds and throw in three
      > blocked shots? I'm
      > just projecting from limited information the same
      > way you guys are,
      > but it sure seems to me has more in common with
      > Ralph Sampson or Rik
      > Smits than he does with Shawn Bradley.

      I tend to agree that he'll do well. I'd guess more of
      a 15 points/10 rebounds type of production, if he gets
      starter minutes. I think Francis and Mobley are still
      going to do the bulk of the scoring for the Rockets,
      so I doubt Yao will even get the opportunity to score
      20 ppg.

      His numbers in the CBA for last seaon were 31.6 ppg,
      19.3 rpg and 3 apg. That's with a .732 FG pct. This is
      for 44 games, regular season and playoffs. I don't
      know where the CBA ranks in terms of quality, but
      that's a hell of a player in just about any league.
      Considering he's 7'5 and still young (22, IIRC)
      there's plenty of reason to think there's something
      special here.

      Ed Weiland

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10 9:10 AM
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.