Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Yao Ming

  • john wallace craven
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2002
      John Craven
      I AM STILL THE RULOR OF THE WORLD!!!11!11!!!
      I PITY THE POOR FOOL WHO ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO!!!1!!!!111!!!

      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, alleyoop2 wrote:

      > I'll go ahead and be the bastard who disagrees with everything that
      > has been said.
      >
      > First, at this point in his career I don't think Bradley's defensive
      > value is particulary high. Statistically, he blocks a lot of shots,
      > but that ingores the big picture:
      >
      > *****that's all he can do******

      Yeah, I agree. That's basically the problem with guys that big, I think.
      With very few exceptions (Muresan, Mark Eaton), they just aren't athletic
      enough to do more. You've got to realize that while guys like Bradley or
      Yao Ming might be in the top 10% of guys their height athletically
      speaking, every 6'6" player in the NBA is in the top 1%, at least.

      > He can't stop people from getting position in the post, he can't stay
      > in front of anybody, and he can't even foul somebody hard enough to
      > stop them from dunking on him. His effort also slipped noticeably
      > from last season, which is how he gave up 33 points and 26 rebounds
      > to a mediocre player like Lorenzen Wright and ended up on the bench
      > the rest of the season. Blocks are a small part of defensive
      > effectiveness, and while they often indicate a great defensive
      > player, sometimes they lie.

      With the new rules, Bradley's just about useless. His only value was
      standing in the lane and intimidating small players, and now that he can't
      stand in the lane that's gone.

      > Second, am I the only person who think Yao Ming can score 20 points a
      > game, maybe get 7 or 8 rebounds and throw in three blocked shots? I'm
      > just projecting from limited information the same way you guys are,
      > but it sure seems to me has more in common with Ralph Sampson or Rik
      > Smits than he does with Shawn Bradley.

      I think you're underrating where Bradley was - or at least where people
      thought he was - coming into the league. There was a ton of talk of his
      having worked out with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and having developed a skyhook
      as a result. His outside game was always suspect, but *many* pundits
      thought he would be an effective post player because of the hook and
      because of talents he'd shown before he went on his mission.

      Yes, there were mitigating circumstances there - apparently, Bradley did
      not play basketball at all in the two years after he turned 19 - but there
      are mitigating circumstances in Ming's case, too: namely that he has only
      shown the ability to dominate vastly inferior opposition. For all the talk
      of his being bulkier than the average guy his size, he looks VERY slight
      to me. Could he average 20 and 7.5? I guess so, if you gave him the
      minutes, but if Ming is even able to play the 40+ minutes per game it
      would take (I would not be surprised in the least if he's foul-prone),
      other teams would be able to exploit him at will.

      Anyway, while it's entirely possible that Ming will become a Rik Smits, I
      see him as more of a Brad Lohaus or Pete Chilcutt - centers who could hit
      from long range, but didn't have enough other skills to play more than 20
      minutes a night.

      John Craven
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.