Re: Yao Ming

  • alleyoop2
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 1, 2002
      I'll go ahead and be the bastard who disagrees with everything that
      has been said.

      First, at this point in his career I don't think Bradley's defensive
      value is particulary high. Statistically, he blocks a lot of shots,
      but that ingores the big picture:

      *****that's all he can do******

      He can't stop people from getting position in the post, he can't stay
      in front of anybody, and he can't even foul somebody hard enough to
      stop them from dunking on him. His effort also slipped noticeably
      from last season, which is how he gave up 33 points and 26 rebounds
      to a mediocre player like Lorenzen Wright and ended up on the bench
      the rest of the season. Blocks are a small part of defensive
      effectiveness, and while they often indicate a great defensive
      player, sometimes they lie.

      Second, am I the only person who think Yao Ming can score 20 points a
      game, maybe get 7 or 8 rebounds and throw in three blocked shots? I'm
      just projecting from limited information the same way you guys are,
      but it sure seems to me has more in common with Ralph Sampson or Rik
      Smits than he does with Shawn Bradley.
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.