hi all

  • Garrison family
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2002
      Hi everyone. I am new to this group and am looking forward to being a part of it. I consider myself a basketball "junkie." I believe the sport is doing to be for the next century what baseball was for the last century. I am a diehard Mizzou Tigers fan and enjoy following Mizzou players who are now in the pros. It will be hard to enjoy watching Rush considering I can't stand the Lakers! As much as I hate the Lakers I believe they are good for the game considering the NBA seems to be most popular when there is one great dynasty to either love or in my case hate. I also think all the foreign players are GREAT for the game. They bring a new kind of excitement to the game (the Kings and Mavs, possibly the 2 most exciting teams have foreign stars) and I LOVE their fundamentals. I also think they will be great for the college game considering kids will now have to go to and stay in school longer to get drafted higher. Well those are just some of my views on the game I love and like I said earlier am looking forward to being a part of this group. Later-Shawn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 3:17 PM
        On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Garrison family wrote:

        > hate. I also think all the foreign players are GREAT for the game. They

        [...]

        > fundamentals. I also think they will be great for the college game
        > considering kids will now have to go to and stay in school longer to get
        > drafted higher. Well those are just some of my views on the game I love

        That's an interesting point and probably a valid one: the influx of
        foreign players not only adds a new interesting element to the NBA and
        raises the overall level of play, but this influx also has spillover
        effects into other aspects of the NBA. Namely the possible effects on the
        draft and the college game that you mention. The college game will
        benefit as a result too.

        We will know the international game has truly arrived when we see the
        following occur: an American high school player instead of going to
        college or jumping to the NBA or going to an American minor league
        (moreover I think the developmental league has a minimum age
        requirement?), jumps to a European team to develop his game, in the hopes
        of becoming the next Gasol or Tony Parker or Nowitzki. Not that I'm
        advocating skipping college, but the reality is that more and more
        American high school players are doing just that.

        --MKT
      • alleyoop2
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 12:16 PM
          I completely agree. I think as time passes more high schoolers will
          jump to leagues in Australia (english speaking, won't scare the crap
          out of an 18-year kid the way playing in Belgrade or someplace would)
          or even the ones in America like the CBA, USBL and it's ilk. That's
          probably the real idea behind D-League, although a lot of kids will
          be able to make more overseas.