Re: Yao Ming

    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 28, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Charles L. Steinhardt" <charles@p...>
      wrote:

      > Born in Boston = Celtics fan. Moved to Philly, but still have to
      be a
      > Celtics fan.

      What a tortured soul.

      > I think Bradley would have developed better elsewhere, in a
      situation
      > where fans didn't think he was the wrong pick.

      Like Utah.

      > > To no one's surprise, Houston was statistically significantly
      better
      > > with Francis in the lineup. Most of it was offense, where they
      were
      > > 4 pts better with him than without him. That works out to be
      about
      > > 10-12 victories better with him. Gulp.
      > >

      > They'll be an above .500 team IMO. Which in the West means they
      miss the
      > playoffs.

      I've been reading a bunch of papers on scientific methods of
      evaluating coaches. They're all on baseball, so I'm trying to extend
      the methods to basketball, but my sense is that RudyT is going to
      come out fairly high. There are lots of reasons for me to believe
      that Houston won't reach 0.500 (a major lack of defense that probably
      won't be helped by Francis or Glen Rice returning - though Ming
      should help), but RudyT is that piece that I think will get them to
      0.500.

      That then is 13 games that need to be trimmed off of other teams'
      projections. Chicago and Memphis both got 2 victories against a
      Francis-less Rockets team. For all those saying that Denver will be
      the worst team in history next year (I'm not sure why), Denver took
      only 1 game against Houston and that was with Francis in the lineup.

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10 9:10 AM
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.