Re: Yao Ming

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 28, 2002
      > When you
      > look like the world is against you, the world is gonna start being
      > so.

      Maybe that's my problem!

      > Anyone want to take a shot at how well Houston is going to do? And
      > how well they would have done just taking their roster from last
      year
      > into this year (assuming a healthy Francis)?

      Last year, the Rockets were 25-25 when Francis played 35 minutes or
      more, 2-13 when he was available but played 0-34 minutes, and 1-16
      when he was unavailable.

      I think the lone Francisless win was against Milwaukee, in the middle
      of that team's stretch collapse.

      > To no one's surprise, Houston was statistically significantly
      better
      > with Francis in the lineup. Most of it was offense, where they
      were
      > 4 pts better with him than without him. That works out to be about
      > 10-12 victories better with him. Gulp.

      Extrapolating, I see a 42-win team with a healthy Stevie Franchise,
      and a 5-win team without him. That looks like 37 more wins, to me.
      Glup.

      Mike Goodman
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10, 2002
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.