Re: Yao Ming

    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 27, 2002
      Do teams get a proportionate amount of their own merchandise sales?
      Or is that all league $?

      I do think you're right, though, that he will draw a lot of
      attention. But to sustain it, he has to be good. Ichiro Suzuki
      draws a ton of people everywhere he goes in baseball because he
      brings out the Japanese fans. I don't think that would have happened
      if he were not good enough to start. If a guy doesn't play a lot,
      then the fans don't show as much. In China, they might just get mad
      if Ming doesn't play a lot, rather than stop watching. I don't know.

      If Chicago or GS had gotten the #1 pick, I wonder whether they would
      have gone for the big guy.

      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Charles L. Steinhardt" <charles@p...>
      wrote:
      > There's another consideration here, of course.
      >
      > Whoever took Yao was going to get an immediate and substantial bump
      in
      > their fanbase. Even if he struggles mightily, I'd predict that
      Rocket
      > merchandise takes about a 150% bump in sales this year. If he does
      well,
      > the sky's the limit. Consider what happened to Perugia when Nakata
      came
      > from Japan to Italy. He then got sold on just because a larger
      club was
      > willing to pay a lot for the boost in sales, trips to see them
      play, etc.,
      > even though as just a player on the pitch he wasn't worth his value.
      >
      > When you consider that basketball teams are corporations, this is
      clearly
      > the most $ value they could get for the #1 pick regardless of
      competitive
      > balance. If he is even a halfway decent player, that makes it a
      smart
      > business pick. If he's a Rik Smits type, he's the best 1st draft
      pick
      > ever. If he's a superstar, even more so.
      >
      > Houston just picked up about 100 million fans. Not bad for a day's
      work.

      > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, HoopStudies wrote:
      >

      > > I have very mixed feelings, having never seen him do much more
      than
      > > shoot around, get stomped by the Americans in the Olympics, and
      see
      > > highlight reels.
      > >
      > > I hate it when I read that a big guy is being looked at for his
      > > little guy skills, which is what you hear about him. He certainly
      > > works on his jump shot and ballhandling. From what I've seen,
      he's
      > > pretty slow to release his j, which is not good, but made up for
      by
      > > his height. I think if you plan on making him a perimeter
      offensive
      > > player (like a Bill Laimbeer), he has a pretty decent shot. I
      really
      > > was not impressed with his low post stuff in the Olympics, though
      > > admittedly wasn't really looking too hard back then. He may be
      tall,
      > > but even the slightest bump can throw a big stick off down low.
      And
      > > he's gonna get bumped a lot. Rik Smits showed a touch down low
      even
      > > with a bump. Ming hasn't shown that to me. If Houston puts him
      down
      > > low and expects him to be their low box scorer, they could be in
      for
      > > a long wait and possible resistance from their #1 pick.
      > >
      > > Obviously, the guy is 7'5", so he is going to block shots, but is
      he
      > > going to be a defensive threat? Does he seal passing lanes?
      Does he
      > > know how to come off his man to help on the inside? Olajuwon knew
      > > instinctively how to do that and I was always so impressed. No
      one
      > > is talking about Ming's D and that worries me. The rap on
      Nowitzki

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10 9:10 AM
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.