Re: Yao Ming

    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 27, 2002
      I have very mixed feelings, having never seen him do much more than
      shoot around, get stomped by the Americans in the Olympics, and see
      highlight reels.

      I hate it when I read that a big guy is being looked at for his
      little guy skills, which is what you hear about him. He certainly
      works on his jump shot and ballhandling. From what I've seen, he's
      pretty slow to release his j, which is not good, but made up for by
      his height. I think if you plan on making him a perimeter offensive
      player (like a Bill Laimbeer), he has a pretty decent shot. I really
      was not impressed with his low post stuff in the Olympics, though I
      admittedly wasn't really looking too hard back then. He may be tall,
      but even the slightest bump can throw a big stick off down low. And
      he's gonna get bumped a lot. Rik Smits showed a touch down low even
      with a bump. Ming hasn't shown that to me. If Houston puts him down
      low and expects him to be their low box scorer, they could be in for
      a long wait and possible resistance from their #1 pick.

      Obviously, the guy is 7'5", so he is going to block shots, but is he
      going to be a defensive threat? Does he seal passing lanes? Does he
      know how to come off his man to help on the inside? Olajuwon knew
      instinctively how to do that and I was always so impressed. No one
      is talking about Ming's D and that worries me. The rap on Nowitzki
      and Wang ZhiZhi has been D. Both of them are tall and were good
      defenders where they came from. If Ming doesn't play D, his value
      drops enormously.

      Sitting on the outside, I never would have taken this guy first
      except for the value others see in him. If he doesn't get used
      right, he's going to fail -- I feel. But others did see him play
      more. Others did work him out. They should know better.

      DeanO

      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 10 9:10 AM
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
        > what was his cba ft% and 3ptfg%?
        >
        > also he did play in the olympics. i taped the usa v. china game.
        > think he had two blocks a few points maybe and fouled out early in
        > the second half. i think he will be maybe an all star someday, but
        > probably not mvp or hof.

        I've got boxes for at least 6 of his Olympic games. They're not the
        greatest format. I could post them if other people want to reformat
        and repost in more useable format. Against the US, he had 5 pts, 2
        blocks, and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. Wang Zhi-Zhi played a lot better
        than Ming. The US shot 57% against the Chinese and won by 47. They
        got 70 points in the paint. They got 22 points off second shots and
        completely dominated the offensive boards. Part of Ming's problem
        was that the guards could not get him the ball. On the defensive
        side, I'm not sure what you can blame his problems on.