Re: Walter Berry and other head cases

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "McKibbin, Stuart" <smckibbi@c...> wrote:
      > Attitudes. Nowadays I'd say Jim Jackson, Chris Gatling, Rod
      Strickland, Oakley, Doug Christie (I guess that's really his wife's
      attitude), Sam Cassell, Van Exel, Laettner. The don't fit your
      definition of being booted from the league---although Jackson and
      Strickland came close last year. Mostly they're just guys who get
      traded a lot because no coach can put up with their act.

      > Chris Washburn got booted. Leon Smith got booted.

      Isiah Rider is an obvious one I forgot.

      Jackson is not one I knew about. Nor Oakley or Laettner.

      And I don't think Christie's wife is going to get him traded. Unless
      she barges in on practice asking for a smoochy-woochy.
    • john wallace craven
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2002
        On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Dean Oliver wrote:

        > I was thinking about good players who basically got booted from the
        > league for attitude. The first guy I always think of is Walter Berry,
        > the former St. Johns player who might have even been Player of the Year
        > by some counts in college. In the NBA, I always had him as being a
        > pretty effective offensive player. Defensively, he left a lot to be
        > desired and I remember reading coaches say that was the reason they
        > didn't want him, though it was at least as much attitude difficulties.

        Hmmm... Jason Kidd hasn't been exactly booted from the league, but he has
        switched teams twice because of an inability to get along with a player or
        the owner. The same goes, more or less, for Stephon Marbury. J.R. Rider is
        probably the best example of a guy who got hounded out of the league in
        part because his attitude sucked. Mahmoud-Abdul Rauf didn't have a crappy
        attitude, I don't think, but his refusal to stand for the Star-Spangled
        Banner in Denver was crucial in getting him kicked out of the NBA and
        never being able to recapture a starting role again. Kendall Gill has
        moved around because of attitude problems, IIRC (I know he was moved from
        the Sonics because he couldn't get along with George Karl, but I'm not
        sure if attitude was a factor before or since).

        > Oliver Miller was essentially excluded from the NBA for weight issues.
        > He didn't play poorly at first, but he did go downhill.

        Well, if weight is part of "attitude", then include Hot Rod Williams and
        Bison Dele too. Actually, Dele would probably make it even if you didn't
        factor in weight.

        John Craven

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2002
          --- In APBR_analysis@y..., john wallace craven <john1974@u...> wrote:
          > > I was thinking about good players who basically got booted from
          the
          > > league for attitude. The first guy I always think of is Walter
          Berry,
          > > the former St. Johns player who might have even been Player of
          the Year
          > > by some counts in college. In the NBA, I always had him as being
          > > pretty effective offensive player. Defensively, he left a lot to
          be
          > > desired and I remember reading coaches say that was the reason
          they
          > > didn't want him, though it was at least as much attitude
          difficulties.

          > Hmmm... Jason Kidd hasn't been exactly booted from the league, but
          he has
          > switched teams twice because of an inability to get along with a
          player or
          > the owner. The same goes, more or less, for Stephon Marbury. J.R.
          Rider is
          > probably the best example of a guy who got hounded out of the
          league in
          > part because his attitude sucked. Mahmoud-Abdul Rauf didn't have a
          crappy
          > attitude, I don't think, but his refusal to stand for the Star-
          Spangled
          > Banner in Denver was crucial in getting him kicked out of the NBA
          and
          > never being able to recapture a starting role again. Kendall Gill
          has
          > moved around because of attitude problems, IIRC (I know he was
          moved from
          > the Sonics because he couldn't get along with George Karl, but I'm
          not
          > sure if attitude was a factor before or since).
          >

          > > Oliver Miller was essentially excluded from the NBA for weight
          issues.
          > > He didn't play poorly at first, but he did go downhill.
          >
          > Well, if weight is part of "attitude", then include Hot Rod
          Williams and
          > Bison Dele too. Actually, Dele would probably make it even if you
          didn't
          > factor in weight.

          Not Hot Rod Williams, but the other John Williams, John S. Williams.
          Aka Hot Fudge Williams. He lasted a long time before getting booted
          actually. I was surprised.

          I didn't remember Bison Dele having weight problems. I know he was
          weird.

          DeanO
        • bchaikin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2002

            hot fudge williams?....love it....hadn't heard that one....
          • bchaikin@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2002

              vernon maxwell played for 8 different teams in 13 seasons, and was a starter for 6-8 of those years, so he doesn't qualify for the booted-out-of-the-league-for-attitude group. but he was surely moved around from team-to-team because of his seemingly constant angry attitude towards playing, not for any lack of talent. best seasons were around 17 pts/g and 5 ast/g and some good "D".....
            • bchaikin@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 18, 2002

                also if i remember didn't oliver miller turn down a huge-something-like 3 year $9 million contract ($3 mil/season) from toronto to play out his option with i think phoenix? after that you heard little if anything about him...kinda drummed himself out of the league...
              • alleyoop2
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 19, 2002
                  Are we talking about players who had bad attitudes or players who had
                  weight problems? Oliver Miller, Dinner Bell Mel Turpin, Ike Austin
                  and John Hot Plate Williams would all be examples of weight issues.

                  As far as attitude, I can't believe nobody mentioned Derrick Coleman
                  yet. A few other examples would be John Brisker, Marvin Barnes and
                  Warren Jabali, Benoit Benjamin, Joe Barry Carroll (aka Joe Barely
                  Cares), Cedric "vacation" Ceballos, Chris Morris, Rony Seikaly,
                  Robert Horry (in Phoenix), Latrell Sprewell (in Golden St.) and Olden
                  Polynice. Somebody asked about Jim Jackson before; he's bitched about
                  minutes everywhere he's played, so he's definitey in too. Most of
                  these guys are big men; I guess coaches are willing to put up with
                  more because size is so scarce.