Chamberlain effect

  • mikel_ind
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 4:45 AM
      As a corollary to previous post, I'll look at Wilt's teammates with
      and without him.

      I expect to see guys getting fewer rebounds for sure; almost certainly
      fewer points; perhaps more assists; and you might guess better
      percentages (though it doesn't appear with Russell).

      Some 76 players joined and/or parted company with the Dipper, playing
      significant minutes in consecutive seasons with and without.

      The year 1965 was spent half with the Warriors, and half with the
      Sixers, so I omit that year, and '64 or '66 becomes the year of
      measure.

      1970 was a 12-game appearance in the regular season for Wilt, so it
      is counted as a 'non-Wilt' year.

      Breakdown by position:

      Centers (12):

      G Min Pct. Sco Reb Ast - Total
      70 17 .458 9.8 7.7 1.8 - 19.4

      Of course, no one really backed up Wilt, they moved to forward.
      Johnny Kerr was the Sixers center when Wilt arrived, and he
      languished on the bench or out of position, dealt at the end of '65,
      so his numbers are omitted.

      Centers' % change with Wilt:

      Min Pct. Sco Reb Ast - Total
      .69 1.01 .94 .85 .85 - .88

      The big bite is in minutes, but across-the-board drop in
      productivity. Maybe the slight jump in shooting pct is just Wilt's
      raising the standards.

      Forwards (31):

      G Min Pct. Sco. Reb Ast - Total
      67 22 .464 11.2 5.7 2.1 - 19.3
      0.85 0.99 0.92 0.93 1.08 - .90

      Assists are up by the same ratio that scoring is down.

      Guards (33):

      G Min Pct. Sco. Reb Ast - Total
      73 24 .463 10.8 3.1 3.8 - 18.0
      1.02 1.00 0.97 0.90 0.93 - .94

      And here are the projected production gains by these 76 player-
      seasons:

      Points
      G Min Pct. Sco. Reb Ast - Total Pts. Reb. Ast.
      66 21 .467 10.4 4.5 2.6 - 18.0 -118 -2215 405
      0.89 1.00 0.95 0.87 0.97 - .91

      Coincidentally the .91 overall productivity of Wilt's teammates is
      almost the same reduction as he personally experienced in comparing
      his regular-season to playoff rates.

      Mike Goodman