Defense, Dal at San 5/14

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2001
      (It took me a while. I've been traveling and will be doing so a lot in
      the next 3 weeks.)

      Several obvious things in this game:

      - Dallas had a hard time scoring if they weren't beating Robinson and
      Duncan down the court or getting the ball to Nowitzki
      - Finley played some horrible defense, having no ability to keep up with
      Antonio Daniels
      - Nowitzki needs the strength not for offense but to be able to defend on
      the box. Nowitzki is one talented player (lots of good Europeans right
      now)
      - San Antonio really does do a good job keeping one of the two big guys
      in the middle to shut down interior scoring. Other Twin Tower combos of
      the past didn't seem to know exactly how to optimize their D. It will be
      fun watching SA against a true center in Shaq, though.
      - Dallas is pretty slow defensively (my season numbers had them slightly
      worse than avg defensively). Booth seems decent. Nowitzki is a bit of a
      high risk defender, taking chances that pay off sometimes, but also
      getting burned. Nash tries hard, but isn't great.

      Numbers for the game are attached. I've attached both the scoresheets
      where I counted stops (_def is used in name) and ones where I used my
      traditional estimation techniques.

      www.tsoft.com/~deano/index.html
      deano@...