Re: Boston-New Jersey playoffs, 2002

  • sonicdk2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "alleyoop2" <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
      > I noticed most of the guys in this study have a high correlation
      > between assists and winning, and I think cause and effect may be
      > backwards here. Assists only result from made field goals; when you
      > win you normally make more field goals than the other team, and
      > normally that means you'll end up with more assists.

      True, in a sense I agree with your assessment of cause an effect, but
      assists are also an indication of the manner by which team points are
      scored (rather than creating one's own shot, or by free throws.) My
      main focus with assists is to see who an opponent should focus on
      defensively if they want to make sure the opponent doesn't make too
      many timely passes to the open man.

      Other players show weaker relations of assists with winning, so it's
      not as important to shut down that aspect of their game--such as guys
      who like to keep the ball, looking for a shot, and then pass at the
      last few seconds--they might get an assist but it's not a great
      winning strategy and so the passing lanes don't need to be covered so
      tightly with such a player. Am I making sense?

      Change the way the opponent plays and that may put them at a
      disadvantage.