830Re: A few questions

  • alleyoop2
    Apr 4, 2002
      DETROIT: Detroit's improvement has been entirely on offense. I had
      them ranked 9th in defense last year and 8th this year. Their offense
      is vastly better because three scrubs (Jon Barry, Chucky Atkins and
      Corliss Williamson) are playing out of their minds and they added
      Rebraca.

      LAKERS: Kings maybe, since they'll have home court. I can't see
      anybody else doing it unless Shaq gets hurt.

      EAST: I still think NJ is the favorite, but by a slim margin. Philly,
      Charlotte and Detroit will all be tough. I have no respect at all for
      Milwaukee, I think they're easily the worst of the East's top 7. I
      suppose Toronto could make some noise if Carter's back for the first
      round.

      COLLEGE PLAYERS: I love Chris Wilcox. He killed Drew Gooden and Jared
      Jeffries in back to back games. Baxter is a little short for the NBA
      IMHO, he'd have to play power forward and I don't think he's quick
      enough. Dixon is a tweener but he's smart, can shoot and guard people
      so he may be a very productive third guard. Duke's JWilliams, not
      sure who he reminds me of ... great college players almost always
      lead their team in scoring, but he may be more of an assist man in
      the NBA. We'll have to see.

      > I'm away for a while after today, but here are some of the
      questions
      > in my head that I won't be able to tackle for a while:
      >
      > 1. Why is Detroit so much better this year than last? Offense?
      > Defense? Have the new players been important to one or the other?
      > Or have Stackhouse, Wallace, etc. improved? (It's weird to
      > say "Stackhouse and Wallace" again, just as I did when a different
      > Wallace teamed with Stack at UNC.) Detroit should have won more
      > games last year, based on their pt differential, but that's not all
      > of it by any means.
      >
      > 2. Is there any team that can beat the Lakers in the playoffs?
      > How? Hack-a-Shaq (which we haven't heard anything about this
      year)?
      > Stop the Big Two or stop the peripheral players? Are there any
      > characteristics in the wins against the Lakers during the regular
      > season that are applicable to the playoffs?
      >
      > 3. How tight is the Eastern Conference? I don't think the Nets
      are
      > a lock to come out of it at all. I read that Philly could easily
      > knock off the 1 seed because Iverson will be back for the
      playoffs.
      > I saw something similar about Charlotte.
      >
      > 4. Re-evaluation of the Chicago-Indiana trade. MikeG posted some
      > facts a couple weeks ago. With Indiana suffering a bit right now,
      > I'm curious again. What are the teams' records since the trade?
      > Have their been any other changes in individual/team performance?
      We
      > would have expected that Artest's acquisition would have helped
      > Indiana's team D. Did it? With Chicago cooling off, I am
      interested
      > in why.
      >
      > 5. Duke's Jason Williams: How good will he be? Why? Any similar
      > players come to mind? How do their stats compare? What about Juan
      > Dixon? Lonny Baxter entered the draft last year, but now no one is
      > talking about him as even a draft possibility. Any other
      opinions?
      > Has anyone seen this Qyntel Woods guy?
      >
      > 6. What happened in Houston? Francis was out for a while. Did
      his
      > performance decline, too? They lost Olajuwon, which should have
      hurt
      > the D. Did it decline?
      >
      > 7. David Stern recently said that because the economy is cooling,
      > ticket prices should go down. What drugs is he on?
      >
      > That's a decent list.
      >
      > DeanO
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic