826Re: [APBR_analysis] WEA Meeting

    Apr 4, 2002
      On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

      > What Operations Research things have you seen? I think I saw some
      > baseball stuff a few years ago. I haven't seen anything in
      > basketball. I haven't looked in a while. I saw something in
      > Management Science, too.

      Actually, by far, most of the research is done in baseball, I was
      refering to work on sports statistics in general, not basketball
      statistics.

      [...]

      > Paper 4: Stephen Spurr, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI and
      > Anthony Krautmann, DePaul University, Chicago, IL.
      >
      > Title: Baseball Errors Revisited

      Interesting title, but I'll bet it's about baseball's business errors, not
      on-field errors.

      > Paper 4: Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
      >
      > Title: Attendance Decline in Korean Professional Baseball League:
      > Economic Crisis or Competitive Imbalance?

      Another intriguing title, I didn't even know there was a Korean
      professional baseball league. Competitive imbalance is a hot topic in
      baseball, much less so in basketball. Despite the recent Bulls dynasty
      and an ongoing potential Laker dynasty.

      > Paper 1: Rodney Fort, Washington State University, Pullman, WA and
      > Young Hoon Lee, Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
      >
      > Title: Explaining the Behavior of Competitive Balance Over Time

      Fort's one of the big names in the economics of sports, I forget the name
      of his frequent co-author -- Quirk? -- who I think was at Caltech.

      > Session Title: PAY AND PERFORMANCE IN SPORTS I

      These are the papers which presumably will have to use sports statistics
      to measure players' performances levels and value. Economists should be
      capable of coming up with sophisticated measures, but the stuff I've seen
      usually uses just a simple Tendex-type measure, or batting average plus
      other stats, or etc.

      > Title: Pay and Performance in Professional Road Running: The Case
      > of City Marathons
      > Bernd Frick
      > University of Witten/Herdecke

      Almost certainly a model of a marathon as a tounrnament and an
      investigation into the effects of different compensation schemes (big
      prize to the winner only? Lots of little prizes to lots of top
      finishers?) Economists have been entranced by tournament theory for about
      20 years now.

      > Paper 3: Peter von Allmen, Moravian College, Bethlehem, PA.
      >
      > Title: A Comparison of the Season Championship Rewards and
      > Incentives in NASCAR Winston Cup and Championship Auto Racing Teams
      > (CART)

      I'd kind of expect the author to be from Auburn Univ or Florida State or
      something like that. ;) Another investigation into tournament
      incentives I bet.

      > Paper 4: Michael Leeds, Irina Pistolet, and Elizabeth Wheaton, Temple
      > University, Philadelphia, PA.
      >
      > Title: The Impact of Race on Playing Time in the National Basketball
      > Association

      Labor economists have done some studies of race and salary in sports,
      because it's one job category where the employee's performance is
      relatively easy to measure objectively. Again however, they usually focus
      on the economic issues and salary differentials, rather than on creating
      a sophisticated performance measure.

      > Paper 3: Craig A. Depken, II and Dennis P. Wilson, University of
      > Texas, Arlington, TX.
      >
      > Title: The Impacts of Cartel Enforcement in NCAA Division IA Football

      Nothing to do with basketball or sports statistics, just one of my
      favorite examples of one of the most successful cartels in the world: the
      NCAA. Forget OPEC, it faces substantial competition from non-OPEC
      suppliers such as Russia, Norway, Mexico, etc. The NCAA only had to
      compete with the NAIA -- until the hardship draft and increasing flood of
      Darryl Dawkins's, Kobes, Chandlers, etc. created a major competitor for
      the supply of labor, in the form of the NBA.

      > Paper 4: Stephen Shmanske, California State University, Hayward, CA.
      >
      > Title: Market Preemption and Entry Deterrence: Evidence from the
      > Golf Course Industry

      Apropos of nothing: I hate golf. The only good thing is that even golf
      fanatics are unable to bear listening to a golf broadcast, so golf doesn't
      pollute the radio airwaves.