821Re: Answering comments on Efficiency vs. Productivity (Western Econ Assoc Mtg)

    Apr 2, 2002

      > On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
      > > basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the
      Seattle
      > > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
      > > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple
      sessions
      > > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get
      >
      > They don't appear to have set the program yet...most economics of
      sports
      > stuff that I've seen is literally economics of sports: cost-benefit
      > analysis of stadiums, effects of salary caps, long-run competitive
      balance
      > in leagues, effects of free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

      I have the program and will try to post it later (when I get home).

      I know Dave Berri has a hand in setting up the sessions and he is
      interested in the statistical analysis. He is applying the type of
      value analysis to economics questions, but obviously is looking at
      the stats.

      > Economics of sports does seem to be a very small but reasonably
      growing
      > field in economics, certainly the pace of books getting published is
      > increasing. But they all seem to be about economics of sports
      rather than
      > sports statistics.

      I can send a couple citations where economics journals have verged
      into the realm of sports statistics analysis.