820Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Answering comments on Efficiency vs. Productivity (Western Econ Assoc Mtg)

    Apr 1, 2002
      On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, HoopStudies wrote:

      [...]

      > There really could be a lot of econometrics in evaluating
      > basketball. For anyone interested, especially those in the Seattle
      > area, the Western Economics Association is having a meeting in
      > Seattle June 29 - July 3 this year and they do have a couple sessions
      > on sports economics. Could be very boring or tedious if they get

      They don't appear to have set the program yet...most economics of sports
      stuff that I've seen is literally economics of sports: cost-benefit
      analysis of stadiums, effects of salary caps, long-run competitive balance
      in leagues, effects of free agency, revenue sharing, etc.

      But very little analysis of sports statistics. Most of that sort of stuff
      that I've seen, from academic researchers, comes from operations
      researchers or else mathematicians.

      > into details of the math, but could also be very interesting and
      > educashenal. I've never gone, but will be going this year. Let me
      > know if any of you want to go and want to meet, more importantly, for
      > beer after the sessions...

      Usually it's worse than getting into the details of the math -- they don't
      bother to explain the details of the math, but barge into the middle of it
      anyway. (This is economics presentations that I'm talking about.) The
      audience is left to their own devices to try to follow along.

      Economics of sports does seem to be a very small but reasonably growing
      field in economics, certainly the pace of books getting published is
      increasing. But they all seem to be about economics of sports rather than
      sports statistics.