605Tyson Chandler: was Re: nice methods

  • lk_maxwell
    Feb 8, 2002
      I hate to mention this, but can we change the Subject of the posts
      when the topic changes?

      I personally don't have too much of an interest in Tyson Chandler,
      but I would love to read more about the mathmatical methods used
      here. Changing the subject prevents everyone from reading through
      irrelevant material.

      Thanks,

      LKM

      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Ed Weiland <weiland1029@y...> wrote:

      > --- "Michael K. Tamada" <tamada@o...> wrote:
      > >

      > > On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, HoopStudies wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Ed Weiland
      > > player. It
      > > player this
      > > >
      > > > You've said this before. Given how rarely the
      > > Bulls are on TV, it's
      > > > no surprise I haven't seen him, but I am really
      > > curious, though. Who
      > > > do you think he is most similar to? Most people
      > > say "tall"
      > > > and "athletic" and they are referring to Kevin
      > > Garnett. Is that
      > > > realistic?
      > >
      > > I'm curious too. I've only seen him once, in the LA
      > > Pro Summer League
      > > (actually I think it was called the Dada Summer
      > > League this past summer).
      > > At that point he was extremely raw and the two
      > > crossroads for him that I
      > > saw led to (a) Kevin Garnett and (b) Brad Sellers.
      > > It was absolutely too
      > > early to tell which way he would end up.
      >
      > Garnett is probably a stretch. One spin on draft day
      > tried to sell Chandler and Curry as a future
      > Shaq-Garnett tandem, which is pretty ridiculous, IMO.
      > I doubt Chandler will ever develop Garnett's
      > all-around game. He just doesn't seem to have the same
      > personality. He seems more like a Webber/Barkley type
      > personality-wise. That being an OK guy who sometimes
      > rubs folks the wrong way. Not exactly an MJ when it
      > comes to leadership. That's just my initial take on
      > him though. I could easily be way off the mark here. I
      > was concerned about Chandler being another Brad
      > Sellers at first too. I doubt that will happen.
      > Chandler is more athletic than Sellers and he doesn't
      > play soft. Reckless yes, but not soft.
      >
      > Comparing him to other guys who skipped college in
      > their rookie years, right now his offense comes up
      > short compared to Garnett, Kobe and T-Mac. It seems
      > that most of Chandler's points come from put backs,
      > alley-oops and other high percentage shots. He's said
      > to have good range, but I've yet to see it during a
      > game. He also commits a ton of turnovers. On defense
      > he looks pretty good. He uses his height and quickness
      > very well. He does get burned on occasion, but that's
      > to be expected from any rookie, let alone one straight
      > from the preps. Also, he doesn't look completely
      > overmatched, as Jonathan Bender did his first couple
      > of seasons. Most of Chandler's problems seem to come
      > from being tentative on the court. That's a common
      > problem with rooks and it usually corrects itself in
      > time.
      >
      > As far as comparing him to one guy, I would say
      > Stuart's assessment "A taller, quicker David Robinson
      > with no offense" is about as accurate as any. I
      > suppose the more pessimistic types would call him a
      > Brad Lohaus who can jump.
      >
      > > People who have seen him more often, throughout the
      > > season, are in a much
      > > better position to evaluate. But unless he starts
      > > making some obvious
> [...]
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic