5721Re: Referee study: Help coding referee race

  • frontrange_
    Jun 21 12:41 PM
      Turned out it was Powers - he called three techs on King and
      Loughery. . .check out this story on the game:

      http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/sports/8254402.htm

      Only game in NBA history where three players played on both teams.

      > Interesting story, sounds a bit more like Madden than Strom.
      > I've got Strom's autobiography, I don't recall him mentioning
      > a protested game, of course he would be likely to leave such
      > a story out of his book anyway.
      >

      > --MKT

      SonicCentral.com/abprmetrics,
      > but I believe I already saw you place this query there.
      > >
      > > Going strictly by appearances (this could lead to mis-guesses,
      e.g.
      > if I saw Jason Kidd I'd probably guess he was White):
      > >
      > > Jack Madden was definitely White (in appearance). A longtime
      > prominent ref in the NBA (I saw him once call 5 technical fouls on
      > the Celtics and their coaches in about 10 seconds).
      > >
      > > Jake O'Donnell, same.
      > >
      > > There are several others who I'm pretty sure are White but I
      better
      > not say because I may've been thinking of someone else.
      > >
      > > "Arzoumanian" sounds like an Armenian name, and Armenians are
      > considered to be White (by the Federal census definitions; often
      they
      > check off "Other" instead of "White"). But I don't know what he
      > actually looked like so I cannot vouch for his ethnicity.
      > >

      > > --MKT

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic