5548RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: DeanO in the P-I

    Jan 4, 2005
      From: Dean Oliver [mailto:deano@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 10:51 AM

      [...]

      >beliefs, is valuable. Giving them tools to improve the players or how
      >to use the players (two different things) -- that's more valuable than
      >overall ratings and that can come from some of what Roland has.

      One great thing about the Sonics and Suns is that they've continued the
      trail set by the Kings and Mavericks, showing that one can have an
      up-tempo, offensively oriented team which is nonetheless a good team.
      (Championship team? That's another matter).

      And the Sonics, if one believes that their roster is not filled with
      a particularly scary amount of talent, have continued the examples
      shown by the Pistons, Argentinian Olympic team, etc. in which team
      play and team effort overcame the seemingly superior individual talent
      level of teams such as the Lakers and USA Olympic team.

      Up-tempo, team-oriented basketball. What a concept.

      [...]

      >get canned often. Success is winning a bit in the playoffs. So we
      >have a lot left to accomplish -- well beyond any regular season win
      >total -- to consider this season a success.

      As I've mentioned on a Sonics email list, this could shape up to be
      the best Sonics season since 1978 -- although the Sonics will at
      a minimum have to make it to the Finals to match that incredible
      Cinderella season. But I think even non-Sonics fans have to
      appreciate what the Sonics and Suns have accomplished so far this
      season. DeanO's right that they really haven't accomplished anything
      yet, the season's only 1/3 over so it's too early to be handing out
      awards, but what a 1/3 of a season it's been. Some positives have
      been going on, to balance out the Pacer-Piston slugfest.