5530RE: [APBR_analysis] DeanO in the P-I

    Dec 31, 2004
      -----Original Message-----
      From: John Hollinger [mailto:alleyoop2@...]
      Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:35 PM

      >http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/205859_sonx30.html
      >
      >The Ridnour discussion is interesting. I've found that with first-
      >year point guards, their performance has much less correlation with
      >eventual success than any other position.

      The other thing that I found interesting was the characterization
      of Wally Walker as the stats-oriented type (no surprise there, given
      his UVa and MBA background) and Rick Sund as the intuition-oriented
      type. Presumably, many of the recent personnel decisions have been
      made by Rick Sund, who seemingly deserved the blame when the Sonics
      roster last season, and at the beginning of this season, looked
      woefully under-talented. And Sund presumably deserves the credit
      when the roster and talent mix in fact seems to have been brilliantly
      designed and developed.

      But if Sund indeed deserves much of the credit for the current
      Sonics roster, he's apparently doing so using old-fashioned
      techniques, rather than new-fangled "Moneyball" or "BoP" (Basketball
      on Paper) techniques.

      Of course, Walker is probably one of the more hands-on owners/presidents
      out there, given his background, so he may deserve a chunk of the
      credit too, rather than Sund.

      Yet another possibility is that the Sonics roster truly is mediocre
      in terms of its talent level, and what is setting them apart this
      season is that they a roster playing good basketball, rather than
      a roster of good players. I.e. it's coaching and team play rather
      than talent.

      I don't know, but somebody's doing something right.