5103Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: possessions

  • igor eduardo küpfer
    Sep 30, 2004
      Okay, how about this: team pace as the distribution of shot clock time it
      takes to get off the first attempt of the possession. If we ignore
      possessions in which no attempt took place, and if we count shooting fouls
      as attempts, the distribution of shot clock times for the 03-04 Net's looks
      like this:

      Time RelFreq CumFreq
      :03 2.7% 2.7%
      :06 1.7% 4.5%
      :09 7.2% 11.7%
      :12 12.2% 23.9%
      :15 23.3% 47.2%
      :18 26.0% 73.2%
      :21 16.2% 89.4%
      :24 10.6% 100.0%

      That doesn't tell us too much, so let's compare them to other teams. First,
      the 03-04 Raptors, which, to my eyes, were the slowest team in the history
      of the NBA. The rightmost column is a random sample of 44 NBA games.

      NJ TRN X
      :03 2.7% 2.1% 1.9%
      :06 4.5% 3.6% 3.6%
      :09 11.7% 10.8% 11.8%
      :12 23.9% 22.5% 26.3%
      :15 47.2% 44.7% 50.0%
      :18 73.2% 70.6% 73.9%
      :21 89.4% 87.9% 89.7%
      :24 100.0% 100.0% 100.0%

      The Nets don't look that much different than average by this measure of
      pace, which is consistent with other measures.

      ed
    • Show all 81 messages in this topic