3690Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Dampier (was Article from _The Economist_)

  • igor eduardo küpfer
    Apr 7, 2004
      From: "Michael Tamada" <tamada@...>
      To: <APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 12:02 AM
      Subject: RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Dampier (was Article from _The Economist_)

      >Interesting differences in the graphs; the first one suggested a peak at
      age 26
      >then a strange final peak at age 30 followed by steep declines. The second
      >and third graphs, which I believe to be the better ones, suggest a peak at
      ages
      >26 and 27 (age 27 averaging 100% of the age 26 performance) followed by 3
      almost
      >flat years and then a substantial decline after age 30.
      >
      >BobC's numbers seems to be based more on seasons in the league rather than
      age, but
      >seem to point to peaks at age 24-25 and declines starting around 29-30, so
      a year
      >or two earlier. But he was looking at a broader set of players than the
      All-NBAers,
      >and it wouldn't surprise me if MikeG is right that the star players have
      later peaks
      >or at least delayed precipitous declines, relative to the kinds of players
      who are
      >washed up at age 31.

      I've uploaded a few more graphs, focusing on specific stats:

      http://members.rogers.com/edkupfer/images/effects_of_aging.htm

      They show that some things, like FT% and defensive rebounding rates, are
      largely unaffected by aging, while other stats, like turnovers and
      possessions, are largely determined by a players age.

      I hope my graphs are clear. I don't know too much about making them, and
      used this opportunity to practise a bit. The details of each graph show the
      interquartile range, between which half of all observations can be found.

      ed
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic