3636Re: Ray Allen's PER vs Clydes?

  • carlos12155
    Apr 1, 2004
      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "nickouli5" <NikoTMP@g...>
      > wrote:
      > >... I always thought of Clyde as the second best SG in the 90s and
      > even
      > > possibly into today (with Kobe and Tmac being a good
      > > argument/comparison). I remember Clyde had seasons of 25-7-6 or
      > > better at times. Are Ray and Reggie close in ratings because they
      > > turned the ball over less and shot a greater percentage in general?
      > >
      > > Does the PER slightly favor good shooters over overall players who
      > > might be slightly less efficient when it comes to shooting/scoring?
      >
      > Every rating system will have some players looking overrated
      > relative to others. Part of it is your perception, and part of it
      > is the system.
      >
      > Someday, a stat-head will list Tremaine Fowlkes up there with the
      > best. But meanwhile, I'd agree with your assessment that Drexler >
      > Allen, and >>> greater than Reggie, in their primes.

      Well, part of the problem is that we are comparing players in
      different eras. Maybe John is measuring how effective are players
      relative to average efficiency. In that case the ratings are not
      really saying that Allen was the equal of Drexler, but that at his
      time Allen's production was as much above average production as
      Drexler's was in his.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic