337Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Measuring clutch performance

  • Ed Weiland
    Dec 1, 2001
      --- John Maxwell <John.Maxwell@...>
      wrote:
      > > "Clutch" play by a team is often reflected in the
      > percent of close
      > > games they win.
      >
      > Actually, at least in baseball and the WNBA, this
      > has not proven to be the
      > case. Generally speaking, bad teams win more close
      > games than any other kind
      > and good teams win fewer close games than any other
      > kind.

      Not only that, baseball teams with a good winning pct.
      in one-run games generally decline the following
      season (as myself and several other White Sox fans
      found out this past summer). I suspect the same is
      true in the NBA, though I have never looked at the
      subject, nor am I aware of anyone who has.

      I would have no idea how to analyze which players are
      clutch and which ones aren't. Basketball isn't like
      baseball where you can just look at what each player
      does in each AB and go from there. In basketball
      there's defense, rebounding and passing going on in
      addition to shooting. Those things would have to be
      looked at also, once clutch situations were defined.

      I've always felt "clutch" was one of those terms
      people used to describe players they wanted to like.
      Jerry West was called Mr. Clutch, despite being on the
      losing team in eight NBA finals and winning only once.
      This isn't to say West wasn't a clutch player. I just
      wonder why West got tagged with Mr. Clutch, when it
      was Bill Russell who was the biggest winner of that
      time. Probably a racial thing.

      Ed

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic