3297Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: My version of WINVAL (my analysis of it)

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Feb 29, 2004
      My latest version does exactly what asked and the evidence suggests that the values for offensive and defensive rebounds probably are about the same.  If anything, there is a slightly higher value for defensive rebounds.

      they are the same, in terms of value towards a team, as each either starts (def) or regains (off) a team possession, and a team possession has an inherent average value each season (unless you want to get overly technical as someone else pointed out and not league at it from the overall league perspective but from the fact that certain teams have a higer value for a team possession than others because they are more efficient at scoring)...

      however as to whether a def reb has a slightly higher value, what i can point out is if you look at a number of the great players (olajuwom, k.malone, bird, magic, jordan, etc) you'll see that as they got older, their percentage of def to off rebounds increases as they learn how to win. that tells me def rebs are "more important" at least to them, i'm guessing because they learn its most important to get back to play D rather than it is to go after an off reb, but that's only an assumption...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic