3296Re: My version of WINVAL (my analysis of it)

  • wimpds
    Feb 29 9:28 AM
      You make a small mistake in your text where you claim that the
      offensive rebound coefficient is higher than that for defensive
      rebounds. Just out of curiousity, what does it look like if you
      force the intercept to zero? [If you have the time and inclination
      to run the model.]

      Thanks again.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "dan_t_rosenbaum"
      <rosenbaum@u...> wrote:
      > My latest version does exactly what asked and the evidence
      suggests
      > that the values for offensive and defensive rebounds probably are
      > about the same. If anything, there is a slightly higher value for
      > defensive rebounds. Perhaps guys who specialize in getting
      > offensive rebounds tend to not be offensive threats, which makes
      it
      > harder for their teammates to score. These WINVAL statistics
      would
      > pick up such externalities, while the accounting-type approach
      > inherent in Tendex, PER, and DeanO's stuff would not pick up such
      > externalities.
      >
      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "wimpds" <wimpds@y...> wrote:
      > > Dan,
      > >
      > > Thanks a lot for doing this. Quite interesting, though I wish
      the
      > > collinearity wasn't so damaging. Perhaps you could run a model
      > that
      > > could contribute to another discussion going on? What happens
      > when
      > > you separate offensive and defensive rebounds? Other work would
      > > suggest we'd get a larger coefficient for offensive rebounds.
      > >
      > > Ben
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic