3289Re: pip, rip, shaq

    Feb 27, 2004
      I think the problem in WINVAL is relating "impactful" to "good." If
      I'm on a team that doesn't have any smart team defenders and needs a
      point guard, and I happen to provide both of those things, then I
      will show up as very impactful in these rankings, even though I might
      not be that good. The Blazers played great once they moved Pippen to
      point and got Stoudamire out of there, for both of those reasons.

      If they swapped Pippen for Shaq they wouldn't get the same kind of
      impact right away because Sabonis and Davis were quality centers last
      year, but in the real world they could trade those two for a good
      point guard very easily and end up way ahead on the game.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "doc319" <doc319@y...> wrote:
      > I'm not suggesting anything of the sort; I was just responding to
      > the post about where Pippen's "impact" ranked in Sagarin as opposed
      > to Rosenbaum. Shaq could not provide for Portland the exact
      > qualities that Pip did (playing point guard, man to man defense on
      > the perimeter, etc.) but of course he would more than offset that
      > providing a dominant post presence.
      > The Blazers were surely dysfunctional but when Pip was at full
      > they actually were very "functional" (When Pip was healthy and
      > starting at point guard they went 22-5 over one stretch of the
      > season, including wins against Minn, Sac, Spurs,
      > Dall); "dysfunction" returned when Pip injured his left knee and
      > team finished 8-10 down the stretch.
      > >
      > > Does this imply that a straight-up trade of Pippen for -- say --
      > > Shaq would have made the Blazers less successful?
      > >
      > > Or were the Blazers a singularly dysfunctional team, with whom
      > > Pippen just happened to fill their gaps particularly well?
      > That's kind of my point: many people seem to not believe that he
      > that "impactful" last year (or during his prime), but Sagarin and
      > Rosenbaum's numbers suggest otherwise. Regular observers of the
      > Blazers last year would also acknowlege his "impact."
      > >
      > > Well, I'm not a Pip detractor by any means. Neither do I think
      > > his 'impact' is that great, at this stage in his career, over a
      > full
      > > season.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic