3005Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Well, admittedly the name Amos Tversky didn't ring a bell, so I ...

  • Mikey Stewart
    Jan 6, 2004
      Heh. Robert Horry's reputation as a great playoff performer, even prior
      to last year, has been ridiculously overblown. His career playoff numbers
      aren't any better than his modest regular season numbers. When you get
      lucky at the ends of a few close games in the playoffs, people tend to
      overrated you considerably. Hey, he's a "winner", right?

      On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Mike G wrote:

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Greenwell
      > <sgre6768@p...> wrote:
      > > > They found statistical evidence of a cold streak?
      >
      > > There's a preponderence of evidence that the other end of the
      > spectrum is attainable.
      >
      > Unless I'm missing something, a streak is a streak.  Either you do
      > or don't accept that human beings have more variability than tossed
      > coins and dice.
      >
      > Accepting the validity of a cold streak implies that there is such
      > variability.  And since "cold" has to be relative to some average,
      > it implies other "hotter-than-average" periods.
      >

      > >.., Clifford Robinson has been shown to be a vastly inferior
      > player
      > in the postseason as opposed to the regular season.  The same goes
      > for Damon Stoudamire; the proof is in Hollinger's Pro Basketball
      > Prospectus.
      >
      > Stoudamire actually beat the rap (though briefly) last season;
      > while
      > Cliff is still Cliff.
      >
      > Meanwhile, Reggie Miller and Robert Horry both stunk in last year's
      > postseason, thus losing their "perennial overachiever" status.
      >
      > You can "prove" the past, but not the future.

      > Service.

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic